New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

freaking website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

okay, so the website all went to crap

same website as before http://www.bryantplayers.com/index.php

i am basically just lost with this. so any help is appreiciated....everything is correct and the links it says it can not find are working

-chris

edit: edited link

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

One issue you might be having in your code is that when you are "including" external files that are HTML files, leave off any tags that open and close the html, body, and head. You have opened and closed html a bunch of times so it is screwing with the browser right now. Just start typing text in your external file. Also, for your nav, is there a reason why you are putting each nav button into a separate cell? I would use a <br/> at the end of each nav button instead of separate cells (it will clean up the code some and you wont have to use the colspan attribute). But I think your main problem is opening and closing too many html, body, head tags in your code. That should clear some of it up. Fix that and then I will look at it again when I get a chance.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

ok, heres your problem, I see your table widths are in percentages, you need to change it to an actual number in pixels, ie, the width + 5 or so pixels wider than a button or that table content.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold

okay, ill be getting this all sorted out in a little while, thank you very much!

until then, i must go study for and pass a test!

and maybe cook the gf breakfast too becasue she's mad

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtupser
One issue you might be having in your code is that when you are "including" external files that are HTML files, leave off any tags that open and close the html, body, and head. You have opened and closed html a bunch of times so it is screwing with the browser right now. Just start typing text in your external file. Also, for your nav, is there a reason why you are putting each nav button into a separate cell? I would use a <br/> at the end of each nav button instead of separate cells (it will clean up the code some and you wont have to use the colspan attribute). But I think your main problem is opening and closing too many html, body, head tags in your code. That should clear some of it up. Fix that and then I will look at it again when I get a chance.
oh...so you mean when i do my <?php require stuff that the website that i am 'linking' to i should not have any <head> or <body> <meta> etc at all?
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

That is correct, just treat it like a regular text file, but you can still put tags in there for like tables, images, links, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yes, but the shifting of the page is caused by the table widths as percentages as I mentioned above.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

macman - im changing everything over to exact sizes instead of percentages in the tables...at first i thought percentages would be good, but that idea failed brutally

whenever iset up the code <?php require ("/announcements.html"); ?> (whatever was mentioned to me earlier that is similar to that code) it can not find the page...i end up having to put http : // www. bryantplayers. com / announcements . html (minus spaces) in order for the file to be found

thank you all for the great and prompt help folks!!!!

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

ill just double post this:

also now my nav bar buttons arent being found...the files are all in the correct place, i have a feeling it is the fact that it is linked through /buttons/(buttonname.jpg) that is causing the problem

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

when you do an include it's looking from server root, not web root, so you'll need to do this:

require_once('../buttons/buttonname.jpg');

instead of:

require_once('/buttons/buttonname.jpg');

and same with your first example.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

update...fixed most things and i think i am almost done with this crap!!!! (too bad the person who is suposed to be running the website doesnt do his job and i am doing it for him)

so, when deleting all the body and meta tags and what not from the pages, what do i do about the javascript stuff in the header that preloads images?

once again, thanks for the help!! beers all around!!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

You should have one header file that has all that stuff (js, meta, etc) in it, and then include the appropriate "body" pages after that. If you want to control the meta tags on a per page basis, do something like this:

<?php
$page['title'] = 'This is the title of the page';
$page['meta_keywords'] = 'keywords go here';
require_once('header.inc.php');
?>
Insert body of page here.

In the header.inc.php file have this:

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<meta name="keywords" content="<?=$page['keywords']?>">
<title><?=$page['title']?></title>