New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Templates in dreamweaver

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

okay, still learning a lot of stuff in dreamweaver and website stuff. im trying to set up a template that will look like this http://bryantplayers.com/templatetest.html

in my repeating regions i would like to be able to edit the file outside of dreamweaver and just have it read that page when it loads. For example i have an announcements.html file that i will like to open in the upper right hand corner where it actually says 'news'

is this possible? and if so how would i do this?? i would like to get this site up and running in the next few days and i think i am almost there as of right now

-chris

note; only link that works with the css and the template right now is club information

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold

anyone?
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

I believe you will only be able to do that if you use a scripting program like PHP to "include" your outside file. HTML is not a dynamic language and thus does not allow you to include or imbed external HTML files into itself (there are not any tags that I know of that will let you do that). My suggestion is turn your main file into a PHP file (replace the .html with .php) then you can use the require function inside it. To do so, in the area where you want your file included type <?php require ("NameofExternalFile.html"); ?> That should do it. The only problem might be is that your server must be running Apache/PHP on it in order for you to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

thanks, i had a strange feeling today when i woke up and thought about this post and said "please dont need php"

i guess ill see what happens
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

PHP is not that hard if you are going to use it for simple things like the require function, etc. I suggest picking up the Visual Quickstart Guide on PHP at a bookstore. That's how I learned it and the book was very helpful for what I needed it for by physically showing examples of code.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

You could use SSI's (Server Side Includes) I think but unless I'm mistaken most host won't turn it on because of the potential for abuse.... PHP includes are a much better direction to head it
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtupser
I believe you will only be able to do that if you use a scripting program like PHP to "include" your outside file. HTML is not a dynamic language and thus does not allow you to include or imbed external HTML files into itself (there are not any tags that I know of that will let you do that). My suggestion is turn your main file into a PHP file (replace the .html with .php) then you can use the require function inside it. To do so, in the area where you want your file included type <?php require ("NameofExternalFile.html"); ?> That should do it. The only problem might be is that your server must be running Apache/PHP on it in order for you to use it.
so if my template is an html based template is their an easy way to change that to a php template and then use the require function?? i have a strange feeling that this isnt going to be that easy

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
design2

you could alternatively chop your page up into frames like you have in http://bryantplayers.com that pulls out 4 pages..the top navbar page, the content page, the right news page and the footer page.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

just copy the source into a blank web page change the filenames to your filenames and shazam.

<frameset rows="190,*" cols="1" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frame src="topbar.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
<frameset rows="*,53" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frameset rows="*" cols="745,255" framespacing="5" frameborder="NO" border="5">
<frame src="main.html" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="news.html">
</frameset>
<frame src="bottombar.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
</frameset>
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
you could alternatively chop your page up into frames like you have in http://bryantplayers.com that pulls out 4 pages..the top navbar page, the content page, the right news page and the footer page.
i am attempting to abandon frames a) to learn something different and b) they were pissing me off while creating this page and stuff

so yea....

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

woot!!!!! I GOT IT TO WORK....had to copy the file over to a folder i ahd with all my php stuff in it...kinda forgot about that step....

now i just need to do some formatting stuff because i am getting this: http://bryantplayers.com/phpnuke/templatetest.php

note: i moved the entire page so no links are going to work and i didnt move over the dependant files

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Xarthan

Xarthan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
just copy the source into a blank web page change the filenames to your filenames and shazam.

<frameset rows="190,*" cols="1" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frame src="topbar.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
<frameset rows="*,53" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frameset rows="*" cols="745,255" framespacing="5" frameborder="NO" border="5">
<frame src="main.html" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="news.html">
</frameset>
<frame src="bottombar.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>
</frameset>
ugh, frames. ppl generally avoid using frames these days.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

yeah i kno. i dont use them cos u cant back button but it iz quick and simple
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

now how do i go about getting everything to align to the top of the table that it is in? i always thought that align = center|top was valid code but i guess not....

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
design2

do u know css? u can make divs instead of tables and margin/padding and generally format your a s s off.. i love u css..mwa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with programme for webpage! | Mass Collection of RSS Feeds Needed! »