New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Another Iweb problem :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slipondajimmy

Slipondajimmy is on a distinguished road

Ok First I must admit I am not a mac user Great. Now that thats out of the way let me tell you whats going on.

I had someone I know ask me if I can make a quick edit on their webpage. I primarily deal with wordpress and SEO but I figured it would not be a big issue to change one line of text on his iweb created site.

so I make a backup of his entire site and proceed to edit the one line of text I upload the new file and BAM the page is all messed up. it is no longer displaying his navigation or background. I looked over all the code comparing it to his other pages and nothing is wrong. So I say no problem I will just upload the original file and it will all be fixed. Well I was wrong again. Still the same problem.

I proceeded to check the page in every browser I have.

Firefox - not working correctly
IE - Not working correctly
Opera, Safari, Chrome - Working like a charm.

Anyone have any idea what would be causing this to work on the 3 browsers but not the other 2?

I just want to get this fixed...lol

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

No idea. The HTML that iWeb creates is ugly and over complicated.

You can only edit iWeb content using the iWeb editor on a Mac. Did you use iWeb to do the edit or did you manually do it?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Slipondajimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
No idea. The HTML that iWeb creates is ugly and over complicated.

You can only edit iWeb content using the iWeb editor on a Mac. Did you use iWeb to do the edit or did you manually do it?

I used a plain text editor, conTEXT to be exact. I can understand needing to use iWeb to edit the page, but we are talking 1 line of text. There was no code change what so ever.

And more puzzling is the fact that it works in 3 out of 5 browsers.

Thanks for your help. Anyone else have an idea?
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

All I can tell you is that iWeb is the worst way to go! Just code the HTML yourself, and you'll avoid a real mess.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I agree with xstep - the content that iWeb creates is needlessly complex. Regardless of that, what did you change? Can you provide us with a sample? What is the URL?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slipondajimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
All I can tell you is that iWeb is the worst way to go! Just code the HTML yourself, and you'll avoid a real mess.

Coding the html is not the issue. I would personally not use iWeb. But they have and that is what they are working with. It is not my site.

As far as what I changed here is an example....

Original Example - Tonights event is closed do to rain

New Example - Tonights event is open as planned.

I simply opened up a text editor, changed the line to reflect the new text, saved and uploaded the file via ftp. When I see that it did not work, I uploaded the original file and the page remained the same. I touched no code just a line of text.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DREAMWEAVER CS4 - question about AP Div layers versus Div Tag | another iweb question »