New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Best way to incease web traffic?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

culater88

culater88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB

My kid has this web sit about skate boarding & street wear, what he calls a "lifestyle" site. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here but would like to get suggestions on how to improve and increase traffic to the site? TIA
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culater88 View Post
My kid has this web sit about skate boarding & street wear, what he calls a "lifestyle" site. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here but would like to get suggestions on how to improve and increase traffic to the site? TIA
Word of mouth, SEO, paid advertising, swapping links with similar websites.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Join a web ring. Its a group of sites that are all linked together. Do a search to find a web ring related to your topic.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Join a web ring. Its a group of sites that are all linked together. Do a search to find a web ring related to your topic.
People still do that?

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
People still do that?
Its in the list of how to publicize your web page. Along with Newsgroups, Mailing list, Search Tools.Etc. Heck I dont know,sounded good. All them key hack sites link to each other. Maybe skate boarders do too.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Much like Eric said. You can also link to yourself on forums you participate in. I do that, I can tell it works too! The stats and logs show for it. I always put a link to my site(s) in signatures or link my signature images. Word of mouth and SEO really is the key though. Write interesting content that appeals to others and the traffic will start trickling in.

QUOTE Thanks
iWebdezine

iWebdezine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Word of mouth, SEO, paid advertising, swapping links with similar websites.
Agreed...

Paid advertising can become expensive if your not careful & setting up campaigns can also be frustrating if never done before.

Like someone said before, find blogs, forums & webrings that are into the same things your son is, its one of the best ways to get your site noticed for free... There is also free sites out there that will let you post your link for free without having to do anything...
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

but keep in mind that if you want traffic the site actually has to offer something interesting, so you should keep it updated .... if it's just a bunch of images then why would people bother going there in the first place
QUOTE Thanks
culater88

culater88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB

Thanks for all the interesting recommendations. I'll will definitely look into all of them. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
andyparker01

andyparker01 is an unknown at this point

the best way 2 give traffic is..
1. directory submission
2. social bookmarking
3. article submision
4. press release
5. link bating
6. forum posting
7. squido lense
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyparker01 View Post
the best way 2 give traffic is..
1. directory submission
2. social bookmarking
3. article submision
4. press release
5. link bating
6. forum posting
7. squido lense
I would argue that link baiting and forum posting are a good way to get your site blacklisted.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Unibody

Unibody will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody (Jan 09)

Register with as many forums as you can and spam the heck out of them with your links.

Kidding, of course. Any kind of overspamming will give your site a bad image. However, if you find a couple forums with a similar theme, you can put a link in your signature, and maybe make a post in their community board.
QUOTE Thanks
laptopuser

laptopuser is on a distinguished road

Other than Google my best sources would be social networking sites, links on other blogs, and repeat visits from regular readers through viral widgets. Stress more on clear navigation, all of your navigation should be clear as to what page it is describing. And add recommend this site or tell a friend script on your site, so that if somebody find your web site interesting they can share it without leaving your site
QUOTE Thanks
B-Ryan

B-Ryan is on a distinguished road

Web rings can be very bad.

Just code your page to be Accessible and W3C compliant, that includes:
1. NO IMAGE LINKS - Should links should ALL be text
2. No tables
3. Use h1, h2, h3, h4 correctly
4. Make sure your content has keywords! NO KEYWORD STUFFING
5. Pagename and Page Title Should have the same keyword. (title can have more words, just make sure the keyword is in there)
6. NO inline JavaScript - attach all js functions via: getElementsById('id');
7. NO inline CSS
8. If you use flash, MAKE SURE you dynamically call the flash into a "no flash content" div that is populated with content. I like to use swfObject.

When you are done; your page should look (style) like craigslist. Then you can start using css for all your styling, like sprites for your links:
Code:
a.someButtonName {
    display:block;
    padding:0;
    text-indent:-9999px;
    background: transparent url(../../images/btn-name.gif) no-repeat 0px 0px;
    height:25px;
    width:167px;
}
After all that. Then list your page on the Open Directory Project (dmoz) ODP - Open Directory Project That is what Tier 1 and 2 search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing) actually use this to search for sites. When you list your site with google, you are only listing it with google and will not be found on yahoo. But feel free to list it with google and other Tier1 search engines. As getting listed on the dmoz could take a month or 2.

16GB iPhone
17" MacBook Pro 2.93, 320@7200, glossy
http://www.bryanborst.com
QUOTE Thanks
B-Ryan

B-Ryan is on a distinguished road

On a side note: Research your keyword wisely. Then pick a domain name with your main keyword. This and my other post was for an organic search SEO. And it's free! This is what Tier 1 search engines like and want.

The other way would be SEM (Search Engine Marketing); that's another monster in itself. This involves getting a keyword listing from ComScore, bidding on keyword for paid search. Very effective, but very expensive.

16GB iPhone
17" MacBook Pro 2.93, 320@7200, glossy
http://www.bryanborst.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« free website builder? | Change web site title for google results »