New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Ftp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

der_kitty

der_kitty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation

i am having trouble with FTP set up on IWeb. Can someone tell me how to set it up? and how to set up with an FTP server please?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What version of iWeb are you using? If you are using 09, what seems to be the issue? Do you have your FTP username and password?

Here is a video on Apple's website about setting up iWeb 09 with FTP. Make sure to watch the FTP one and not the MobileMe one (select FTP in the video box that pops up).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

i am using 09... an i have already seen that video. what i am asking is WHERE do i set up an FTP account?

and how do i fill in the following on IWeb 09?;
Server Address:
User Name:
Password:
Directory/ Path
Protocol:
Port:

AND is there ANY aditional changes i have to make to my computers settings?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Server Address, User Name and Password should have all been provided to you by your host. For directory/path, try / (this will put it at the top level of your account). Protocol should be FTP and try 21 for port.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

ok how do i acquire a host?
what website do i go to?
and how much does it cost?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Cost all depends on who you choose to be your host and what kind of hosting package you get. I use GoDaddy but there are many to choose from. What's your budget? Do you already have a domain or do you need that as well?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

unfortunately i have no budget :/ is there an alternative so that I can STILL use IWeb?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

There are plenty of free hosting services but not all of them will have FTP support. If they don't, you will have to upload the files manually using one of their supported methods for uploading. Unfortunately, I can't help you much in finding a good free host as I am unfamiliar with them and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. I'll lets someone else suggest a good one for you.

Note that with free hosts, you won't get your own domain. In other words, you won't get www.yoursite .com (had to put the space in there). It will be something like yoursite.webhost.com.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

oh thank you thats a GREAT help to get me a great start.

do you know of ANY free ones that work with FTP?
just so i can get a start?
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

ok i am using one server, it said it was successful, BUT!!! the site is NOT showing up on the web :/ WHY!? am i doing something wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It could be one of many reasons. Could you be a little more specific?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

ok i am using Tripod, because i have had SO much success with them in the past. well i created ONE site, then my computer crashed... ANYWAY!

I fill it out as it says on tripod FTP upload

Site name-
email

server address ftp.tripod.com
username
password
directory i leave blank it tells me to
i enter the URL

could it be the URL? should i try a new one? because i tried it with another site, but when i did i could not view the site.
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

OH when i try to publish i get the following error

Publish Error- There was an error communicating with the FTP server. Try again later, or check with your service provider

i test the connection in the FTP sercer settings on IWeb, it IS successful EVERY TIME without fail. but when i try to publish it comes up with that error
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Does tripod have some sort of web based client for uploading files? If so, use that for now. To do so, simply have iWeb export your project to a folder. This should be in the File menu somewhere (don't have iWeb installed). Once this is done, you can then upload your files "manually".

Can I take it you were following this guide for FTP? Your leaving the directory blank? Your explanation of what you input for directory is confusing.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

yeah trying to upload it is the hard part. thats what i am trying to do right now but very unsuccessful
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to delete thread post | Getting html into iWeb09 »