New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

I need advice on starting a website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ThePinkMac

ThePinkMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook Pro, 2.53gHz, 4GB mem, 250GB HD; 13.3" Macbook (White), 2gHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD

Hi! So, I have a blog on blogspot.com and I was thinking about turning it into my own website. I checked out godaddy.com to see if my preferred domain name was available, and then I was looking into web hosting as well. However, when I went to look at web hosting packages, it listed Windows and Linux, but not the Mac OS. Does this mean I need windows or linux to have web hosting? Or are there other places that do web hosting for macs?
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Web hosting is web hosting. It doesn't matter. My dad uses Godaddy and he's still on OS/2 WARP. But the hosting is separate from building the site itself. If you're really new, I suggest you start with RapidWeaver (or something similar). Then, you can switch to HTML codes later when you're more comfortable. The problem with RapidWeaver is it constructs multiple directories when only one is needed and it puts lots of crap into the codes that is not needed. In short: you end up with a huge website. So you can start with a WYSIWYG editor. In the meantime, study up on HTML and look at the source codes of websites to see how they work. Then when you are confident, you can start writing codes by hand.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The windows and linux you mentioned are what OSes the servers are running, not what OS you must use. It doesn't really matter, as such, what the server is running, but a Linux server may be better

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Windows and Linux are the OSes on their servers and have nothing to do with you. The major difference between the two is that certain things are available on one and not the other. As someone new to web design, I would recommend Linux hosting simply because, when new, you won't notice a difference between the two plans but if you get more involved and skilled, you will probably enjoy the benefits of a Linux hosting plan more.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
kalevine102

kalevine102 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" Unibody

the os doesnt really matter
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalevine102 View Post
the os doesnt really matter
Yes it does. For someone new to web design/development, perhaps not. It does matter when you get serious. You can't get ASP with Linux hosting and PHP is known to have sub par performance with IIS, which some Windows hosting plans use as their http server. There are other differences which I will not elaborate on here but my point remains.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Unibody

Unibody will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody (Jan 09)

GoDaddy has terrible support and their domain manager is garbage. I prefer name.com, their "Unbelievable" hosting for $25 a month is a pretty good deal.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

if your intentions are to take your blog from blogspot and self-host it. You first need to choose a software. Assuming you want to stick with your website being a blog, you might want to use Wordpress, or any other blogging software. Once you choose that, you can determine whether a Linux or Windows host will suit you the best.

In most cases, most of the blogging platforms use PHP as the language and Linux is a good option there. You can, however, choose a blogging platform that uses ASPX or other .NET technologies requiring you to go with a Windows hosting option.

I've been using a variety of hosts for hosting numerous blogs for a while now and have finally landed on (MT)Media Temple right now and am very happy. Realize that most of the shared web hosting solutions will provide adequate services for a small blog for the $5-$10/month price. But if your traffic should increase, these sites will not scale at all..

So it's good to start with these sites and then ramp up to something more robust once you get going.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
ThePinkMac

ThePinkMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook Pro, 2.53gHz, 4GB mem, 250GB HD; 13.3" Macbook (White), 2gHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD

Thanks for all the great advice. This clears up some of my questions. I knew I would find the answers here!

For more tech fun visit my blog, The Pink Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibody View Post
GoDaddy has terrible support and their domain manager is garbage. I prefer name.com, their "Unbelievable" hosting for $25 a month is a pretty good deal.
$25/month? That's ridiculous. For someone just starting out, a simple $5/month or less plan is more than enough.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

^Indeed. Plus, my dad has used GoDaddy and had no problem. It's pretty good, really! What do you get for those extra $20? A zillion extra email addresses?:lol:

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I would choose a Linux hosting plan. Also if your going to do a blog through Moveable Type or Wordpress, I would make sure your package includes the setup of MySQL databases. You will need those for Wordpress and probably Moveable Type too. Most of those cheap packages will give you up to 5 or 10 MySQL databases, which is enough. You will only need one for your blog.
QUOTE Thanks
gilez

gilez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB, 160GB. iPod touch 2nd gen, 8GB, 27" Core i7, 8GB, 1TB iMac

Personally, I prefer Linux hosting. It is simple to use but has the guts to handle big sites. My host of choice is called eukhost.com. £30 a year got me all the space and bandwidth I needed for several websites, fantasico deluxe to install software such as Joomla, Wordpress etc automatically, unlimited mysql databases and generally a good service. I don't mean this to sound like an advert, but for the benefit of other users I want people to know how good I've found them. I've been running my business site with them for getting on 2 years now (I'm a web developer, and host nearly 10 websites from one account). Of course many features of this hosting are standard to many Linux based hosting services.

Hope this helps!

I do web design, so can help with that.
Don't Ask Me about iWeb, Dreamweaver, Flash or any WYSIWYG.
Ask me about xHTML, HTML, HTML5, CSS, CSS3, PHP, MySQL, (basic) jQuery, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
QUOTE Thanks
Unibody

Unibody will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody (Jan 09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
$25/month? That's ridiculous. For someone just starting out, a simple $5/month or less plan is more than enough.
You're probably right, but for an unlimited plan, I think its quite nice.
QUOTE Thanks
NICKST3R

NICKST3R will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13in 2.53GHz 4GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HDD and a turbocharger

choose the linux plan. I know nothing about webhosting, but both linux and OSX are unix based so it makes sense..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« affiliate marketing on the internet | Self-activating slideshow on website? »