New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Google page ranking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gravitate

gravitate can only hope to improve

So basically there is a news article about me so when I google my name it comes up first. This sucks as it happened when I was young and I want it to be at least second page. Please can anyone tell me how to do this please? I can write basic HTML to make web pages and I know some free web hosting companies. Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
gravitate

I have made a web site with my name in the title and as the heading and registered it with google. If I put links to it in loads of forums will this give it a higher PR ranking? Please help
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The more links to your page the higher up it will be on the hit list.
QUOTE Thanks
gravitate

does it count if the link is on a forum????
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitate View Post
does it count if the link is on a forum????
Not sure, I would try it though.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
I have made a web site with my name in the title and as the heading and registered it with google. If I put links to it in loads of forums will this give it a higher PR ranking? Please help
No, but it will get you banned.

Pagerank is not only determined by the number of links, but also the type and quality of the pages the links are coming from.
QUOTE Thanks
gravitate

well anyone any ideas then? if i make numerous websites and then put links in them all to 1 of them. will that work?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
well anyone any ideas then? if i make numerous websites and then put links in them all to 1 of them. will that work?
If the websites are popular, yes.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
IT will not work here, but if it is a public forum that allows links, then it will help

Saying that websites are better

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Sorry but it will probably be difficult for you to remove that article from the google index. No one except Google really knows how their ranking algorithms work. However link popularity is one of them. As people have mentioned to you here...

You cant just put a site up and expect it to get to the top, you need content, incoming links, and time. A lot of time ...

Not to be harsh but you might just have to live with what you have done. If you try to hide it might do more damage than good ?

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Just an observation but assuming someone actually does Google your name, why does it matter if your page comes up first? Is there something in the article that is really embarrassing? If there is, is there anything to link the name in that article to you specifically (and not potentially someone else with your name for instance)? Let's say your name was Joe X. If your name shows up in the first article, is there anything there such as an address or a picture that links the Joe X mentioned in the article to you? For all anyone knows, that could be a Joe X from halfway around the world.

What could possibly be on that page that is so important so as to warrant these grandiose efforts? All I'm trying to get at is that any efforts to mitigate any consequences that may arise from this article probably aren't worth it if there is nothing to link you specifically to the article.

Out of curiosity, what's the page?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uploading - Servers vs. Mobile Me | Help with blog »