Specs:
    Macbook pro 15" 2gb RAM 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Proccessor
    Creating a web server
    Hello everyone. I'm new in this subject. The reason why I'm here is because I want to create my own web server and I'm a real newbie in this matter...So, can someone tell me what can I do to learn the basics of "how to create a web server"?

Thanks a lot

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    You can do a simple setup on your Mac with what is already included. Open System Preferences > Sharing > Web Sharing. With this on, you can place files in your ~/Sites folder and it will be accessible by browsing to http://<your ip/~<user name>. When you turn on Web Sharing, it will tell you this under "Your personal website:".

While this is a quick and easy way to setup a web server, many things won't be available to you right away and if you're behind a router, the page will only be accessible to those behind the router without further configuration. To help you further, it might be more helpful to know what, if anything, in particular you are looking to learn.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

todd51
    If you want to build a web server that you can get access to through any computer anywhere, your going to need a static IP address from your ISP. Do you have that? If your not sure, then more than likely you have a dynamic IP which will change every once in a while, meaning the address of your server would change.

I looked into this a while ago because I thought it would be a fun project for myself, but unfortunately my ISP will not provide me with a static IP address

If you can get a static IP, let me know how it goes!

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    What people do who can not get a static IP address is use one of the services that allow you dynamically change your address when needed. I use easydns.com and others use dyndns.com which has a free option. For my low end purposes this has worked well.

Keep in mind also that some ISPs block port 80. In those cases you can use an alternative port but have to tell people that.

This topic has been discussed many times here, so do some searching in this forum.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

if you want a webserver try either sining up to one already online or buy a proper one with mac server installed also you need a static ip. this should really be for anybody who runs a buisness if you are doing it for fun forget it its not worth it

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Quote Originally Posted by appleme View Post
    ...if you are doing it for fun forget it its not worth it
    It can be well worth it. I've used this for posting things for friends and family that I don't want to keep track of on my real site, and as a personal resource for items I may want to get at remotely. Another bonus has been the learning experience.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

It's better to let someone host your website to prevent hackers from hacking your mac/pc.

Specs:
    Maxcala, that is FUD.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by xstep View Post
    Maxcala, that is FUD.
    I agree. It is very possible to set up a secure web server on your own machine. Sure, web hosts may have more knowledge (it being their job after all) but it is completely possible to run a personal web server that is secure.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    many
    Most ISPs specifically do not allow you to run your own server. This is a feature that you will have to pay extra for. However, most give you some free web space to throw your own web site onto. Just get a domain name and URL forward it to your free web space...(if you want a custom url otherwise just use the url that points to your free space)
    Have a nice diurnal anomaly

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    Most ISPs specifically do not allow you to run your own server. This is a feature that you will have to pay extra for.
    How many ISPs offer a pay option to allow for servers? I don't know of any.

Thread Information