New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Cannot access server via FTP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drew384

Drew384 is on a distinguished road

I just recently purchased web hosting, and I'm trying to access, or rather upload and edit what is there via FTP, but can't. I have almost zero knowledge of web servers and FTP, so to say I'm lost is an understatement. I purchased a web gallery software, and the company was able to upload it to my server. The hosting company is able to access it, but I can't. I can log in and see the data that is there, but anything I attempt to do, I receive the message "access denied." I have tried both Cyberduck and FileZilla. Due to others being able to access and edit with no issue, it's clearly something on my end. I have no firewall software running, and I've been unable to find anything in System Pref. or elsewhere that would be blocking me from uploading/editing data. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

you should have the login details for your control panel, go into it via browser, open file manager, public_html, look for the gallery files, click on index and you should see the url to your page

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

For most hosts all you need is an FTP program such as Filezilla. Create a new site, Host is www.yoururl.com, server type is generally FTP, logon type is normal, user is your control panel logon, password is your control panel password. That's usually all you will need. If it doesn't work check with your host and see if they require a secure FTP server connection.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

You usually login into your site via a name like
Quote:
ftp.yoursite.com

Some sites require your username to be extended with your site name such as;
Quote:
username@yoursite.com

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
appleme

appleme is an unknown at this point

if you can actually see the files but when try to add a file or modify you get an error message its probably a bug or glitch for example iweb 09 cannot write to any windows servers through ftp try and find out what your host is running
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Building A Indie Music Web Site | Cut-outs and weirdness on my web page in Safari... »