New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Some Sites Not Working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrhmy

jrhmy is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. Please move it to the right place if you wish.

My laptop isn't letting my access some pages...

-------------------------------
Yesterday, I made a new account on MySpace.com. Everything seemed to be working ok. But as I was browsing through MySpace, I noticed that some sites do not work. For example, editing my playlist leads to a "Safari can't find the server" page. Also, most music players on the pages do not work as well.

Today, my laptop (previous version MBP 15") didn't even allow me to go onto MySpace.com. It ends up on a "Safari can't find the server" page. I tried going to individuals' MySpace pages, and they didn't work either.

I use Twitter as well... everything was working ok yesterday (aside from the fact that I can't change my background). But today, opening Twitter takes forever, then directs me to another "Safari can't find the server" page.
-------------------------------

I have done the following:
Restart my router.
Tried accessing MySpace.com on another computer (didn't work).
Repaired permission.
Deleted com.apple.safari.plist (or something like that).

None of those worked. Other browsers are facing the same problem.

However, TweetDeck (a program I use to check my Twitter) worked.
And I tried accessing MySpace.com through my iPod (connected to same wireless connection), and everything worked fine.

Are there any settings on my computer that I could change so that MySpace.com and Twitter.com works?

Thanks,
Jeremy
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

If you add the DNS numbers for your ISP it could well help - see here and that is for Leopard on Airport if you are on Tiger the selection is a little different but you need to add numbers for ethernet or airport depending on what u use.
QUOTE Thanks
jrhmy

Thanks for the reply,
I searched for the DNS numbers of my ISP, added all 3 of them, but nothing changed. In fact, my internet itself stopped working. I deleted the numbers and all is fine now.

However, MySpace.com still doesn't work.

This is getting annoying... Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

All 3 of them? i wonder if we are on the same page here. The first group of 4 numbers should be ghosted and is the IP address of your modem/router dont touch that, put the insertion cursor after it hit return type in the Primary address return then the Secondary address. What is your OS and are u on DSL ADSL or Cable. Pic is for Leopard and addresses are added with + selection below left pane

Click for full size - [color=#A7A7A7]
QUOTE Thanks
jrhmy

So I need to look for my ISP's primary and secondary address?
My OS is version 10.5.7. I'm using wireless at home. Probably ADSL.

Also, on the right (Search Domains) it says "local.lan". Do I keep that?
QUOTE Thanks
jrhmy

Sorry for double post but I found something interesting:

I can access MySpace through this site:
MySpace | Login

But I can't go onto it by entering MySpace | Login.
Also, I cannot access any page like this: Invalid Friend ID.

This is really weird.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Any filtering software installed?

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
jrhmy

Nope. No filtering software.
I read that "Peer Guardian" might be causing this. But nope, I don't have anything that might block the site.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

It could be possible is PG is running. It could be blocking a range that myspace uses.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
jrhmy

I don't have Peer Guardian installed.

You know what, it's working now.
But it returned to the problem I had yesterday night.
On some pages the music player says it doesn't work (I already have the newest flash installed). And some pages lead to 'Safari can't find the server'...

This is massively annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHighway

MacHighway is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)

Sounds like a possible DNS server issue. I'd try changing the name servers you use for surfing. If you go to System Preferences > Network and click on the configuration you are using (Probably called "Airport", or 'Ethernet" depending on how you are connected). Change the DNS server to:

4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2

Then hit "apply" and see if you have the same problem. These numbers are for publicly accessible DNS servers that are useful for testing. If you no longer have a problem your ISP's Name servers are goofy.

Chris Graves
President, MacHighway
Real Web Hosting for Mac Users, by Mac Users, Since 1997
www.machighway.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WYSIWYG html editor | Help with website »