New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

What do you guys think?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Michael D

Michael D is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just wanted to see what you guys think of my first site. It's a site for my graphic design business. All criticism is welcome, and please tell me what you would improve. Thanks!
Dearworth Design
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Umm it shows up alright in Safari. Not sure what's going on with Firefox though. I just see the text with no CSS or graphics. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Michael D

Yeah, for some reason it doesn't work with firefox. I'm still working on that.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

CR, I just loaded it in Firefox and it looks the same here as in Safari with no graphics at all. What version of Safari you running? Beta 4 here. It looks perfect in Opera though.

This is what I am seeing in Safari 4 Beta and FF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (31.6 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Michael D

Hmm. I'm using Safari 4 Beta as well and it looks fine. I'm not sure, ill look into it.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
CR, I just loaded it in Firefox and it looks the same here as in Safari with no graphics at all. What version of Safari you running? Beta 4 here. It looks perfect in Opera though.

This is what I am seeing in Safari 4 Beta and FF.
I'm using 3.2.1

I don't use Safari very often so I don't update it. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Opera 10 alpha - looks fine. Firefox 3.5 b4 - no style (yes, I like alpha/beta software).

I took a gander through the source and didn't see anything that looked like it might cause any problems. In other words, I didn't see anything that was problematic for any browser other than Opera. Then again, I'm new to the web design game as is evidenced by my own site .

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Opera 10 alpha - looks fine. Firefox 3.5 b4 - no style (yes, I like alpha/beta software).

I took a gander through the source and didn't see anything that looked like it might cause any problems. In other words, I didn't see anything that was problematic for any browser other than Opera. Then again, I'm new to the web design game as is evidenced by my own site .
The thing with web design is that it's visual and it needs to be able to seen across all types of browsers. Otherwise people just see text with no images and no styles and that's way boring.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
The thing with web design is that it's visual and it needs to be able to seen across all types of browsers. Otherwise people just see text with no images and no styles and that's way boring.
Agreed. I was looking through the source simply to see if there was something that appeared irregular to me.

Some people like "boring" as you put it. To me, Google is very well designed. I don't need images all over the place nor do I need a lot of colour. Give it to me simple. My web page has no pictures and little colour. This was a personal choice. The page loads faster than Superman and is easy on the eyes for all ages . Part of that was my new entry into web design and part of it was a choice to utilize simplicity as a design paradigm.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Back in the day when I first started to design pages I always used IE, Netscape, Opera on Windows and a Mac with IE and Netscape and Opera (Back in the OS8-9 days) and made sure the page I was working on displayed perfectly on all of them. The main thing I do different today is Firefox in place of Netscape of course.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I'm glad there are people like you who didn't take the "designed for IE" approach .

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I'm glad there are people like you who didn't take the "designed for IE" approach .

I have never liked IE but used it only when I had to but always tested with it to be sure my page would work. I was a big Netscape person in my early years and always messed with Opera also since it was so cross platform at the time. Firebird then Firefox came out and that became my new browser of choice. Pretty much all my friends feel the same way and only use IE to test or for some sites that nothing else will work with.

IE8 looks like it a bit better but still very not very Standards compliant.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHighway

MacHighway is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)

It looks like your stylesheet is not getting loaded. I'd try an absolute reference to your stylesheet instead of a relative one:
Instead of:

href="styles.css"

Try:

href="/styles.css" or "/pathtostylesheet/styles.css"

That may work.

Chris Graves
President, MacHighway
Real Web Hosting for Mac Users, by Mac Users, Since 1997
www.machighway.com
QUOTE Thanks
Michael D

MacHighway, I tried that and it still didn't work. Thanks for trying though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to find iweb freelancer designer/coder | Safari 3.0.3 Scroll Bar missing »