New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Web Design Programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fuzzy Z

Fuzzy Z is an unknown at this point

What do you recommend for an intermidate user for a web design program?

I know Dreamweaver is #1 but it is expensive and I have heard that it can be overwhelming for non professional.

Need some alternatives to look at... thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Try this article I wrote on the matter: 10 HTML Editors for OS X
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

RapidWeaver.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
kpmedia

kpmedia is on a distinguished road

Consider a CMS, skip the software.

DVD Burning Problems? Learn which discs work best, and which are to be avoided, at digitalFAQ.com
Don't hate Windows. Just use Parallels! Best of both worlds!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Emacs! Just kidding. Don't use Emacs unless you don't value your sanity .

What are you looking to design? If you are looking for something simple, a CMS may be the best solution. If you want to learn to code, I have good things about RapidWeaver and Coda. I use Espresso (as I got it through MacHeist) and I quite like it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

To narrow it down, do you want free or have you got a budget?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Fuzzy Z

I believe sometimes you get what you pay for and I don't have a problem paying for Dreamweaver - just want to be able to find my way around it.

I know a little bit of code by prefer to do drag and drop editing - less code. I think I will try Rapidweaver first since it seems a little simpler then I can always upgrade to Dreamweaver once I'm more comfortable. Maybe by them there will be a new version out...

Thanks for the suggestions! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Fuzzy Z

With Rapidweaver can I create a site from scratch or take a template from another site and amend it? I don't have to use their templates do I?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHighway

MacHighway is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)

With RapidWeaver you use templates. It includes some already with it and you can download many free and commercial ones - there are a lot of choices. But in answer to your question - you need to use one of those templates. It is pretty easy to edit the look of existing templates if you want to learn CSS. Later you can simply open the site in another more sophisticated editor like Freeway or Dreamweaver and make changes (but you will no longer be able to edit that site in RW without losing those changes).

Chris Graves
President, MacHighway
Real Web Hosting for Mac Users, by Mac Users, Since 1997
www.machighway.com
QUOTE Thanks
Fuzzy Z

I decided to go in between and purchase Freeway and just learn it for now.

Rapidweaver will be too limiting and I think Freeway will end up being a good choice for my experience level. If I stick with it - then I'll invest in Dreamweaver.

Thanks everyone for your help...

QUOTE Thanks
stoavio

stoavio is on a distinguished road

Check into Coda and Espresso for OS X
QUOTE Thanks
Fuzzy Z

Freeway Pro 5.0 has been going great - I love it...

Its great - be warned it doesn't import existing html pages very good but its so easy to use after you get your bearings that it doesn't take much time to recreate it.

The support forum has been great - lots of help to answer any questions you might have.

I recommend it for mid level users that don't want to do any code - just drag, drop and go!

~The Fuz
QUOTE Thanks
gravitate

gravitate can only hope to improve

you can download a 1 month free trial of dreamweaver mate. google 'dreamweaver trial for mac'
you can find loads of tutorials free on the web/ youtube also. i have downloaded it yesterday and im a total newbie but managing to do what i want to.
when my free trial runs out i am going to try change my ip address and make a new email address and down load it again
dont know if it will work though
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitate View Post
It won't.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitate View Post
when my free trial runs out i am going to try change my ip address and make a new email address and down load it again
The trial has nothing to do with your IP address or your email address. The file you download isn't time limited - you could download it now and install five years from now if you wanted. After you install though, it's limited to the trial length.

Isn't doing that a bit dishonest? To me, it's borderline stealing.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Freeway 5 Pro - Roll Over Button | hosting a jtv channel? »