New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Change Apache dir from Sites

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

npartist

Hey,
I have my iMac and I have been trying to get ftp and whatnot sharing with other computers including PC's. Well it is not up to par and I am wonder how do I change the directory that the apache web server looks for the files (ie. right now it looks in the /Users/yourname/Sites). Ideally I want to have two directories, /Users/yourname/ and /Volumes/Maxtor (an external HD). I don't care about a website, the ugly directory thing is find, I just want to have access to my files. Also would it be possible to have read/write access. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

The default folder the webserver looks in is actually /Library/WebServer/Documents/ - so if you type in http://localhost/ it will display whatever is in there. If you're looking to share files, using apache is probably not the best way to do it. Is normal file sharing not working? If you want to specify folders to share, sharepoints will take care of that for you.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you're really set on messing with this, you'll have to edit the httpd.conf file. It can be found in /etc/httpd/

Sharing an entire user folder like that is extremely risky, though. Anyone who can see your machine would be able to read everything.

I'd strongly suggest you use either FTP, or smb/sharepoints as muso suggested. Enabling remote login (ssh) might be useful, too.
QUOTE Thanks
npartist

i found out what was wrong with my network sharing. I was successfully using sharepoints earlier but then it messed up for some reason (happened when I moved my computeer) and even after deleting all sharepoints files (that weren't hidden...) and reinstalled sharepoints it still wouldn't work. I read up on sharepoints web site and found the files that need to be deleted, they include the smb.conf file in /etc/ and the netinfo sharepoints file. I did that and now it works :cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ASP Testing on a Mac | Flash video tutorials »