New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

HELP I'm trying to clean out old web site files from server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluerose

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the world of web design.
A web designer created my site in dream weaver. After doing some research and testing the programs I choice GoLive to edit my own site. She hooked me up with contribute and sadly it would not work for the editing I needed to do.

Currently I am trying to clean up files that are on my server
that are not being used by my current live site.
I am having a very hard time understanding what is being used.

I tried downloading my web site (without out being connected to the ftp server) so I can just see what was active online . What I saw was not so simple. many extra files showed that were from my old site design. I spoke to adobe Tech support and still cant seem to
figure what the simplest way is remove old unused files.

All I am really trying to do is remove unused files .
Its very confusing to edit my site with the extra files floating around.
The live site is all working fine but the inside workings or to much to look at.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

What I would do is look in your source code of a page and find any links that take you to files, html pages, etc. Also any picture files being used by the page and also any css (cascading style sheets) being used by the page. Basically, take a note of what files are referenced in the pages through sourcre code. If not being used, throw them out.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

In my opinion its best to FTP onto the site, download EVERYTHING on there then as vtupser said look at the source and find all the links and what not and delete the ones you don't need off ... and if it breaks you can always fix it using the backup
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

You could give RBrowserLite a try which is a free FTP program for uploading and downloading files in a simple windowed manner.
QUOTE Thanks
bluerose

Thanks
The thing is I really don't know Code.
Code scares me LOL I am dyslexic
Im doing it all visually . Im having a hard time
figuring out what's being used and what's just old being linked.
it could just be me not getting this web world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtupser
What I would do is look in your source code of a page and find any links that take you to files, html pages, etc. Also any picture files being used by the page and also any css (cascading style sheets) being used by the page. Basically, take a note of what files are referenced in the pages through sourcre code. If not being used, throw them out.
QUOTE Thanks
bluerose

I will download this and see if I can see it all more clearly
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
You could give RBrowserLite a try which is a free FTP program for uploading and downloading files in a simple windowed manner.
QUOTE Thanks
vtupser

Cyberduck is a good free FTP program that I use. As for source code, you will be wanting to look for anything that has .html, .jpg, .gif, .swf (if flash used), .php, .asp (if server coding used) as file extensions. You can just do a find (apple+f) ".html" etc. to find these files. Thats probably the easiest way instead of you searching the text manually.
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

I"m not sure why you would want to mess with something that already works, especially when you don't understand what you are doing. But honestly the best way to do that is to download every file via FTP from your server. Set up your site in Dreamweaver (manage site) and verify which files are needed and which are not. When you manage your site in Dreamweaver it sets up a virtual site for you really. But I honestly wouldn't even mess with it, theres no point really. You will probably end up deleting something important so make sure you make copies of everything before you start messing with it.
QUOTE Thanks
bluerose

Thanks...yes I here you that does make sense.
I have GoLive. ( set up the same way)
The reason i wanted to remove the files is because
I am editing my own site and its hard to figure out whats going on with so many extra files every were. I am also dyslexic so its confusing for me.
Thanks for your suggestion and post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoWeb
I"m not sure why you would want to mess with something that already works, especially when you don't understand what you are doing. But honestly the best way to do that is to download every file via FTP from your server. Set up your site in Dreamweaver (manage site) and verify which files are needed and which are not. When you manage your site in Dreamweaver it sets up a virtual site for you really. But I honestly wouldn't even mess with it, theres no point really. You will probably end up deleting something important so make sure you make copies of everything before you start messing with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dreamweaver and Illustrator | VBB Creator »