Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Web Design and Hosting (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/web-design-hosting/)
-   -   Website hosting with Godaddy (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/web-design-hosting/142179-website-hosting-godaddy.html)

iMurali 02-19-2009 02:04 PM

Website hosting with Godaddy

Hi, I am new to this whole website business and I got a hosting account from Godaddy. I also got a domain name and also got my blog ready. But I got stuck at this stage. I am unable to upload this blog onto the Godaddy servers!

I saw that they have their own ftp applet.....but somehow it always keeps on showing that connecting please wait......So, I decided to use cyberduck after googling about the other available options. Now, the thing is I am unable to connect even from cyberduck. I found from the support pages of Godaddy that when I use other ftp clients I have to enter <ftp://www.domainname.com> and I have to keep the start directory simple as"/". I've done all these and also tried another software called "fireftp", but still I am unable to even connect to the host server :(

I am using a college network, one that uses a firewall.......I guess this might be a problem, though I tried using with and also without the proxy server enabled for the ftp protocol.

Some body please help me out!!!

deer dance 02-19-2009 02:41 PM

I'm assuming you're using the Macintosh platform, along with iWeb?

It's likely you're facing compatibility issue.
Meaning, GoDaddy was built to work for Windows.

iMurali 02-19-2009 03:15 PM

@deer dance, thnx......
Yea I designed my blog using iWeb.....
and then I published it to a folder as I could not publish to the godaddy servers
okay I will try to upload this folder through windows and then get back to you :)

iMurali 02-21-2009 11:23 AM

no.....unable to do so even from a windows platform

deer dance 02-21-2009 08:46 PM

Hmm...
Try contacting them for support.

Scott_A 02-27-2009 02:01 PM

I believe you have to build an FTP folder on the godaddy account. Then you can FTP to that folder.

D3v1L80Y 02-27-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deer dance (Post 807268)
I'm assuming you're using the Macintosh platform, along with iWeb?

It's likely you're facing compatibility issue.
Meaning, GoDaddy was built to work for Windows.

That is irrelevant.
FTP doesn't care what OS you're running and neither does a web host.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMurali (Post 807251)
I am using a college network, one that uses a firewall.......I guess this might be a problem

Bingo.

Call your school's IT department and see if they can assist you further.

Deadly Peace 02-27-2009 04:29 PM

I'm not sure how to help you here, but do you have a .Mac name? Because I host my website using .Mac and then forward the godaddy domain and it works. But sorry man, can't really help here :(

danielb 03-01-2009 01:12 AM

I doubt the firewall a the problem. Firewalls generally are only an issue for incoming connections. You are making an outgoing ftp connection. Looking at the godaddy support site, it looks like you just enter ftp://yourdomain.com. I would try connecting to another ftp site. Make sure your domain is right.

drpianoman 03-25-2009 08:23 PM

I can use any FTP program, Cyberduck, Filezilla, coffeecup and upload to godaddy every time. But when I put the same information in Iweb for their FTP server it always fails.
Thats proof that Iwebs FTP server for uploading is faulty. I was a waste for me to upgrade to the 2009 version. It's no different than the 2008. No FTP service available thru them.