Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Web Design and Hosting (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/web-design-hosting/)
-   -   Website doesn't render right in Mozilla-based browsers (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/web-design-hosting/141944-website-doesnt-render-right-mozilla-based-browsers.html)

Clairejr 02-17-2009 05:37 PM

Website doesn't render right in Mozilla-based browsers
 
I'm having a very weird problem with one of my websites.

Mac OS X Tips and More

The site is hosted on my MobileMe account (in the Sites folder) and it looks fine in Safari, Opera, iCab, and Shiira but it doesn't render right for me on Firefox, Flock, SeaMonkey, or Camino (i.e., all the Mozilla-based browsers).

I've tried a prototype version of the site on another hosting service and then it worked in Firefox et. al. It also works fine when I work offline with it, so the problem seems to lie with the site that's hosted on MobileMe and the Mozilla engine, at least on my computer (PPC Mac Mini).

I deleted my browser caches using Onyx, but that didn't work. I deleted all of the Mozilla-based browsers and all their files and reinstalled them and it still didn't help.

I have two other similar sites on MobileMe and both of them render fine in Firefox et al.

Lists for Mac OS X
Automator & AppleScript Applications for Leopard

I'm a very Mac-savvy user, but this problem has me stumped. I can't figure out why this one website isn't rendering right (it looks as if the css sheets are missing when I view it with a Mozilla-based browser). Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Claire

Mama Luigi 02-17-2009 05:48 PM

I know it's not much help but just so you know, I tried opening the site in Firefox 3.0.6, Internet Explorer 7, and Google Chrome on my work computer and only Firefox was unable to render it properly. So clearly it's just a Firefox issue.

macwize 02-17-2009 06:13 PM

do you have any code with this.

have you done this in iweb or have you done it by coding html and css your self

cwa107 02-17-2009 06:17 PM

Aside from hand recoding the page (which would be a daunting task to say the least), you're best bet would be to report the website to Mozilla so that the devs can work on getting it rendering properly. You can do this by clicking the 'Help' menu and then clicking 'Report Broken Web Site'.

Clairejr 02-17-2009 06:56 PM

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. I sent a detailed report to Mozilla, via Firefox's help menu (thank you, cwa107).

The original site was created with RapidWeaver but I transferred it to WebDesign to have more control over the code and css. I guess I'll have to print out the code from the Mac Lists site and the "broken" site and compare the code since it should be identical for the two sites. I probably inadvertently changed something in the problem site's code that the Mozilla engine doesn't like.

What I really don't understand, however, is why the prototype site on a different host worked with FF but the same code on the MobileMe site doesn't.

Clairejr 02-18-2009 04:30 PM

I solved the problem but I still don't know what caused it. I completely deleted the site from my iDisk and then placed a clean copy of it back in the Sites folder and, after syncing my iDisk, it worked fine in all browsers. Apparently, the problem was a MobileMe server issue. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.