New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Programing Language Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bingsgo

bingsgo is on a distinguished road

Hello. I am trying to make a simple file organizer for scanned files. Basically what I would like to do is scan something then have a dialogue box ask some questions and put the file in the appropriate spot.
What language would be the best for this? I would like to learn one anyways so it will be a good goal (I understand that it will take awhile before I will be able to do this). Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I don't think the web design forum is right for this question, but if you want to design on a Mac, you are probably looking at Objective-C and Cocoa.
QUOTE Thanks
Qua Sar

Qua Sar is on a distinguished road

Yes, web design doesn't sem to be the right forum. As far as languages though, i think Java or C++ will work (not positive about Java but i think it could manage). I'm not sure what the best is, though. I do know your mac probably comes with a C++ compiler already on it through terminal (i think) so you may just want to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
bingsgo

Thanks for the info. Maybe a mod will move the thread (I should have posted it in the software development section) . Will just normal C work or will i have to learn C++?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Since you placed this question in the web design section, I'm going to assume you are thinking of using a web page for this rather than doing this locally on your Mac.

There isn't a particular 'best language' for this. I'd recommend Perl or PHP simply because of all the sources for information available. Learning a scripting language is a good place to start programming.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
bingsgo

I've started learning C, and will hopefully soon move to Objective-C. I am using XCode to write/compile. Thanks Again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iweb/blog. How do you hyperlink the previous entries? | web software help... »