Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Jan 21, 2009
    a problem with my website and ONE Mac user
    Hello from France ;-)

    Now that you know that I'm French, you'll understand my (from time to time) strange English.

    I'm running a webiste (this website is helping the readers of a book I wrote (in French) about SAS). Some of my files are in a folder you can only access by clicking on some links given by the website. I did this to prevent bandwidth theft and I'm using a .htaccess file to do the job.

    This .htaccess file is doing a perfect job for 99.9% of my users. The remaining 0.1% user is a mac user and I would like to understand (and cure) the problem.

    When this users is clicking on one of my links, he’s directed on the htm file telling him “you’re not allowed to access to this file from another website than mine” .

    I tried to see if this problem is mac related or not and contact various mac users on a French forum to see if they’re having the some problem. None of them reproduce the bug.

    Let’s see if one of you can have the same problem!

    I created here a very simple html file with a link to a file protected by my .htaccess :

    Document sans nom

    the link will drive you (normally) to a file inside a mac2 folder. The “mac2” folder is inside a “maceng” folder and the .htaccess file is inside the “maceng” folder. Normally, the htaccess is acting on the files inside the subfolders.

    My htaccess file is this one :
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www\.sas-sr\.com/ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ [R=301,L]
    My user is running two computers : a Quad G5 and MBPro Intel
    on both computer: Mac OS X 10.5.6,
    He tried to access to the files with opera, firefox, safari – whatever the browser, whatever the computer, the result is the same.

    Any idea ?

    Best regards


  2. #2

    xstep's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2005
    On the road
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    This is a shot in the dark. I'm thinking the problem isn't on your site, but on his end or path to your site. I'd ask if his network setup is going through any proxy servers.

    I tried your test on both Safari 3.2.1 and OmniWeb 5.8 under OS X 10.5.5 and did not receive the error.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

    When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

    Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

  3. #3

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    no problem here
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

  4. #4

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    No problem on Safari or Opera here both under 10.5.6.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
  2. New Mac user. NAS problem
    By veggiss in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
  3. Mac Pro - Problem with User Account
    By Serpents Den in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
  4. AT&T website hack leaks iPad 3G user emails
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
  5. new mac user question image problem
    By v1d9uy in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts