New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Can you recommend a laptop for web design?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

richardoyork

richardoyork is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I'm intending to create a dynamic website using Dreamweaver CS4 and MYSQL/PHP databases. I move around a lot, so have opted to use a laptop rather than a desktop. The number of listings on the website could be anywhere between 1,000 to 20,000, but will include very few images. What specifications should I be looking for? Would a MacBook be powerful enough or should I really consider buying a MacBook Pro (I can't really afford the latter, but would consider it if I really needed to.) Also could you recommend an external hard-drive that I could use to back-up and store this amount of data? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

A macbook will be fine for web design

As for a back-up drive, just about any external will do

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
discodirecto

discodirecto is on a distinguished road

i have my macbook 2.4 aluminum since january 5 2009 and it works great, for web design and even hd video editing this machine is more like a macbook pro than a consumer macbook, it doesn't have the "pro" label so it costs 400 less... thatīs how it lookīs - soundīs like... so for php, mysql, actionscript, html, javascript, and for developing graphics and visual media (video, photo, interactive animation, video games) itīs more than enough. itīs a complete joy to work with this beauty.
QUOTE Thanks
jbarket

jbarket is on a distinguished road

I highly recommend it. I've been doing professional web application development for over a decade, and I can't even tell you the last time I owned a desktop. Being able to take your work with you is a serious plus.

I really have to recommend using something like dropbox to automatically backup your site files online. I use an external drive setup too (a drobo), but if you use a single drive you're just increasing the number of things that can go wrong. Make sure your backup is as good as gold.
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

Good suggestions and remember you can always hook up an external monitor if you need more screen real estate.
QUOTE Thanks
lemondime

lemondime is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7

I'd opt for the new MacBook (w/ a RAM upgrade to 4GB) and the LED Cinema Display. That way you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll be able to take your laptop where ever you go and when you're working at home you'll be able to hook it up to a larger monitor for more screen real estate.

As far as external hard-drives go, I'd look into Seagate or Western Digital products. I've been using them for years and have had only great experiences with them.

Good luck

Cheers,
lemondime

www.macftw.com
QUOTE Thanks
bendix

bendix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
A macbook will be fine for web design

As for a back-up drive, just about any external will do
Yeah i think mac book will be fine for such web design.. such G4 Aluminum...

Dylanyouto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D

I have never done web design on my 2.4ghz aluminum Macbook, but I have done some pretty demanding work and the Macbook has preformed very well. In your case wether you go with the MBP or the MB I would get 4gb's of Ram. Just leave $100 in your budget for the upgrade.

If I was in your situation the only reason I would consider the Macbook Pro is for Firewire port to back up files faster as well as more screen real estate for when you are on the go. When you are at home you can always just hook up to an external monitor so that wouldn't be a problem with the Macbook.

Overall its just up to you. Both are great machines and will serve you well

PS: I think any name brand external drive will work good for backing up your data. You can get a 1TB drive for like $120.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

If portability is an issue, why not get a big USB flash stick? More reliable than a platter hard drive, and a lot more portable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What URL do I use to link to my facebook page? | flash cannot load on local host »