New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

dreamweaver image and table help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fender1100

fender1100 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm very new to web design and I'm currently in the process of making my first website.

I've designed it all in photoshop and now all I need to do is transfer the graphics to dreamweaver.

I have created a background image which I have set in dreamweaver as the background for the website, and I have managed to centre this in the browser.

At the bottom of this background picture there is a menu bar, on which I want to put the words: 'home', 'about', 'contact' etc, graphics which I have also designed in photoshop, saved in .png and imported into dreamweaver.

I understand that in order to position an image wherever you want in dreamweaver you need to put it in a 'table', is that right? I have tried doing that but when I do 'preview in browser', it doesn't appear as I imagine, with the picture positioned in a different place, and not 'following' the background when the browser window is stretched or shrunk... (in other words, re-sized)

Here is a link to the index page of my site, it might make things easier to understand! Untitled Document

Basically, I would like the 'home' graphic to be positioned just to the right of the treble clef on the menu bar, and I would like it to be fixed there so that when the browser window is re-sized, it stays in the same position on the bar.

Thanks a lot for reading!

J.
QUOTE Thanks
rembrandt

rembrandt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

If you are getting into web design I'd start learning CSS (cascading style sheets) instead of tables. It's a bit tricky to get used to but you won't go back to table based design once you understand how it works.

Check out Cascading Style Sheets for some free tutorials
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Actually you want to use absolute div tags for that. Tables are a no no >_>"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Making fantasy game? | fanboy apple blog »