New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

is there a way to convert iweb into an html code for other websites?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitch90

mitch90 is on a distinguished road

sorry im really really a noob at web designing. and i dont want to pay for a mobile me account so i was wondering if there is way to design a website on iweb and then turn it into html code so i can use it as a template or w/e on website server like freewebs.com

is this possible?

or can someone give me a step by step guide on how to put a site made on iweb up on an actual site without using mobile me?
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

iweb already produces html
QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
iweb already produces html
it does? so how would i get the code from iweb to put it on a site as a template?
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

If you 'export to folder' you will see all the html files and image files
QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
If you 'export to folder' you will see all the html files and image files
export fold or publish folder? i did that already but when i click the html files it just opens it on firefox. but i want to get the actual code so i could use it as a template on a website sever
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It opens in Firefox because that's your default app for opening HTML.

Open the file in a text/html editor like Text Wrangler and you'll see the HTML/XML/CSS in all it's glory.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
It opens in Firefox because that's your default app for opening HTML.

Open the file in a text/html editor like Text Wrangler and you'll see the HTML/XML/CSS in all it's glory.
so after that i can just copy and paste the code into a html website? cuz i tried that when it opened on firefox and i right clicked and ''viewed page source'' then copied and pasted it but it didnt work cuz all the images and stuff are on my computer

so when it uploaded it, it just showed blanks where the pics and stuff is suppose to be
QUOTE Thanks
davidsword

davidsword is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook

HTML Tutorial
read up mitch90, if you can't even figure out their very straight forward instructions, you definitely need to give that a glance to understand the basics.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Step-by-step:
In iWeb - Publish to a folder e.g. 'mywebsite'

The folder 'mywebsite' now contains everything you created in iWeb.... i.e. everything required for a fully fuctioning website.

Just ftp the *contents* of the 'mywebsite' folder to the root folder of your webspace.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

Quote:
Step-by-step:
In iWeb - Publish to a folder e.g. 'mywebsite'

The folder 'mywebsite' now contains everything you created in iWeb.... i.e. everything required for a fully fuctioning website.

Just ftp the *contents* of the 'mywebsite' folder to the root folder of your webspace.
ya i tried doing this with cyberduck
but i dont get how to use cyberduck either. how do you connect to your site? do you have to buy a ftp domain? or is there a way to get one for free? is there a step by step guide on how to use cyberduck too?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Your earlier post said
Quote:
so when it uploaded it, it just showed blanks
- almost thinking I may be a troll victim here.....

I assumed from this you had somewhere to upload it to! But now you seem to be saying you don't have a web domain to upload web pages to? Is this correct?

If you don't then you need to hit Google. You'll find many providers out there that offer free domains and webhosting for casual users. Be aware that many (not all) want to put advertising banners on your page.

Once you've signed yourself up with a free domain and some web space you'll be able to use the ftp address and password they'll supply you with to enter into Cyberduck so that you can upload your webpages to your new domain.

QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

Quote:
Your earlier post said - almost thinking I may be a troll victim here.....

I assumed from this you had somewhere to upload it to! But now you seem to be saying you don't have a web domain to upload web pages to? Is this correct?

If you don't then you need to hit Google. You'll find many providers out there that offer free domains and webhosting for casual users. Be aware that many (not all) want to put advertising banners on your page.

Once you've signed yourself up with a free domain and some web space you'll be able to use the ftp address and password they'll supply you with to enter into Cyberduck so that you can upload your webpages to your new domain.
lol..i dont have a ftp domain cuz when i tried to google for one most of them required money i think

i just did freewebs.com which i dont think is an ftp domain. i just asked me if i wanted to use html or their web layout creator so i clicked html and thats where i copied and pasted the html. got me? lol

so do you know a site that offers free ftp domains?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Here's one, bannerless, ftp, free .co.cc domain:
free web hosting | 07x.net

Here's a list of more:
Free Webspace and Free Web Hosting Services

These are purely from a web search. Haven't used them myself.

QUOTE Thanks
mitch90

Quote:
Here's one, bannerless, ftp, free .co.cc domain:
free web hosting | 07x.net

Here's a list of more:
Free Webspace and Free Web Hosting Services

These are purely from a web search. Haven't used them myself.
ahhhhhh thank you thank you thank you
free web hosting | 07x.net works perfectly with cyberduck

but i have another question. so everytime i wanna update my site do i have to copy and paste all the files from the 'sites' folder in my mac to cyberduck or is there a shortcut? like i can just press publish on iWeb?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You only export from iWeb then ftp only the changed files

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding Facebook "Like" Button in iWeb 3.0.4? | SSL Newb »