New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

e commerce?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsalway

rsalway is on a distinguished road

What is the best e commerce software to use with Dreamweaver? Also what other programs do I need?

Thanks,
Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Depends what you are looking for. There are several packages out there that will run a store or shopping cart or catalog for you. A lot of webhosting companies will let you install them through their control panel so you don't even need to do much yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
rsalway

rsalway is on a distinguished road

Can you give me a little more detail. I just need it for probably less than 30 products. I looked at cartweaver, but I think I would have to invest in other programs such as Cold Fusion to use it. Maybe I am wrong. What are some of the names of other products?

Thanks,
Ryan
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Are you looking to host it yourself? The first thing I suppose you need to determine who where the website will be. If you are hosting it locally, then you have more say over the web server. If you host it at a webhost, you sort of have to go with their environment.

For example, CubeCar, OS Commerce, and Zen Cart are all listed as being installable on my webhost control panel. So in theory I could click a few buttons and have them installed automatically.
QUOTE Thanks
raydot

raydot is on a distinguished road

There isn't necessarily a relationship between Dreamweaver and e-commerce hosting packages.

Dreamweaver is one of an array of tools that can be used to create Web pages. Any of these tools should also work for creating e-commerce sites.

Having said that, Adobe has created specific platforms for e-commerce that you might want to check out:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/ecommerce.html

Also, there is a Dreamweaver template available for PayPal. I'd imagine there are other e-commerce engines that also have Dreamweaver templates.
QUOTE Thanks
HostColor

HostColor is on a distinguished road

DreamWeaver is just a program to create web pages. Those pages should be compatible with any open source e-commerce software if the web server where your website is hosted supports this software.

Zen cart is OK. You can use it.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

If you want a custom website Dreamweaver is relatively easy to learn, there are extensions available that add the shopping cart aspect. Cartweaver is available for asp, php and cold fusion, Webassist offers e-cart and many other options that in my opinion are the best choice. Now if you don't need that "one off" look, most web hosts have multiple choices availble for template driven easy to install and use cart programs.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about hosting, beneficial to know | Website not in centre on Macs »