New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Text Fading In Effect??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mtnman2888

mtnman2888 is on a distinguished road

I'm wanting to have my text fade in one line at a time on the home page of my site. When you load the site, the first line fades in then a few seconds later the second and so on for about 4 different lines. How would you write the code for this? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

You will need to create the animation with Flash which isn't the easiest to learn or write it in Java. The easiest way is to check into a program called "Swish" it has numerous built in effects for text and it outputs as a Flash file type. I believe you can download a trial version for free. You could also check out dynamicdrive.com for the java script.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks
mtnman2888

Ok thanks alot for your help. I have flash as i got it as part of the web design premium pack from adobe, although i haven't even installed it yet. Do you think it would be real hard to do that one little thing since i already have the program? If it is then maybe it will be something i can learn after i get my site up and going. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I've also done something similar just using an animated graphic file (.GIF). I haven't tried with Flash, so that may be easier, but the GIF was the first time I had tried it and it wasn't too bad.
QUOTE Thanks
mtnman2888

Is there a place online that would walk me through how to do it or some other resource? Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Here's one for animated GIFs:

http://www.ehow.com/how_18384_create-animated-gif.html

And for Flash:

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/fadingtext.htm
QUOTE Thanks
mtnman2888

Thanks alot, i think i'm going to try and do it in flash.
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

check out http://www.flashkit.com/textfx/start.shtml
flashkit.com has lots of information on flash web design.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks
bobdaspider

bobdaspider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4

Lifted the following from the net, as I was also having to create animated fading text also - managed to do so with the following:

Flash Text Effect - Fade

A Basic Flash tutorial on how to apply a fade to Flash text

Step1:
First we will add some text and set the properties of the text.
To do this click on the Text Tool in the Tools bar.
Then left click on your mouse in the work area where you want to put the text.

Step2:
To set the properties Right Click in the Text field, a small popup menu will appear. Now Select Properties.
The Properties window will appear below the work area. For our Fade effect set the font to Arial and the size to 30, and select any color except white.

Step3:
Now we will be creating the Flash Text fade in effect. To do this go to the timeline and right click on frame 20. A small popup menu will appear. From this popup menu select insert keyframe. After you have done this right calico on the keyframe again and select create motion tween. Now go to the first key frame, again right mouse click on it, and select create motion tween.

Step4:
Now we have arrived at the final step to create the basic fade in text effect. To finalize it all we need to do is to set the alpha channel of the first text to 0. To do this go to the workarea and click on top of the text you already entered in Step1. Below the work area the frame properties window will appear. In this window you can set several properties such as the color and alpha channel (fade) of the selected frame. To set the color of the text effect to transparent, go to the color drop down menu and select alpha. If needed set the alpha amount to 0 by dragging the slider downwards.

Step5:
To preview what we have created. Enter Ctrl Key and the Enter Key on your keyboard.

Good luck

^o^
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« news ticker | Mac and Windows? »