New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Mac and Windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

savantcreative

savantcreative is on a distinguished road

I own an advertising agency/marketing consulting firm and can't seem to not fight the old fight of needing to go with both Mac and Windows. Mac is my preferred environment for many reasons, but when it comes to web design, it just seems like it is more practical to design sites on a PC because the majority views them this way. Of course, we still cross test on our Macs. What do you all think?
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

I code my site entirely using OS X (URL in signature). And i use the application called “Coda” to code the site.

If you code and design according to the HTML or XHTML / CSS standards it should not matter at all if you are making the site on a PC with Windows, Linux or OSX. In my opinion. It is just a matter of taste.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
savantcreative

savantcreative is on a distinguished road

It's more about the browsers on the Windows platform. That is my reasoning.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Why not just have some of each? People can use what they prefer when designing then the you can test on both after design.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

I don't see how the Windows world has any sort of advantage as far as web authoring is concerned. The operating system is completely irrelevant - the look of a web page depends on the browser, and anyone with common sense should be using something standards-compliant like Firefox, which is cross-platform. I primarily use GNU/Linux, and I create my web pages with a plain text editor (with syntax highlighting for easy reading). When I use Mac OS X, I edit my pages with Bean.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlil88 View Post
anyone with common sense should be using something standards-compliant like Firefox
You can call them idiots if you like but the IE users are still a majority and with that a huge group of potential customers that you shouldn't ignore.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

IE is garbage.. i am on my Dell right now in safari... i have it so you have to go into all programs to get to IE... it never gets used on my comp..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

it's lovely that you guys want to argue about browsers and what not, but when it comes down to it, a HUGE percentage of the market still uses internet explorer, because that's what their computer comes with. you can say it sucks, but that's how it is.
i think that the operating system you do the coding on is highly irrelivent, and you can get almost every browser for most systems, except, unfortunetely, Internet Explorer. So IMO, the best way to go about this is too design the site using which ever OS you prefer, then when you're finished, test and trouble shoot on as many browsers as you can to make sure they all look the same.
the top ones you want to check are:
Internet Explorer 7
Internet Explorer 6 (definitely make sure you check it on 6, there is a lot of bugs in 6 that trip up a lot of coders and i believe this is still VERY widely used because of Windows XP)
Safari
Firefox (if possible, for right now, i would try and test under v2, and v3)
and Opera

EDIT:
side note* this is only my own list for what i believe are the top browsers in the world, if you can test more definitely do, and try and keep up to date on the most popular browsers and always make sure to test your sites on them.
QUOTE Thanks
iMac-Knight

iMac-Knight is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD

The best browser, is always the one that works best for you. Some web pages look better on one or another, but there will always be a browser that works well for you. Mine, when I was on a PC, was IE for the sake of viewing most pages. On the Mac, Safari was worked best. Opera right behind it for the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Internet Exploder does have the most marketshare, but the next version is supposed to be standards-compliant by default, so if it looks good in Firefox, it ought to look about the same in IE8

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
bobdaspider

bobdaspider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4

Being a 'mac' forum, I think it is reasonably safe to say that most people here prefer using and working with Macs. That's the good news. The bad news is that most people will be viewing your site on a PC running Windows, and probably using either IE6 or IE7. It is also my experience that more 3rd party software and apps are now available for PC's than for Macs (eg. 3rd party Flash software). That said, the site that I'm currently working on (using a Mac) looks identical in both Firefox and Safari on a Mac to that on a PC in both Firefox and IE7 (nb. some issues re CSS text with IE6 though).

Therefore, whether you create your site on a Mac or a PC, won't really affect what it will look like once posted online (based on my experience anyway).

^o^

PS. Keep the faith
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Since you are testing on a Mac, the Mac may have a slight advantage over the other platforms. You can use one machine to run all of the operating systems you are likely to test against by using a Virtual Machine. Sun even has a free one available called VirtualBox.

Beyond that little tidbit, I don't think using one operating system over another for web development has any real advantage. It will come down to what the developer is more comfortable with.

You might argue that you start coding the hacks sooner with Windows as you see the IE problems earlier, but you are going to have do those hacks anyway. My preference would be to code to the more standards compliant browsers up front, then code the IE hacks after I'm happy with my standards code.

Note that some sites have recently mentioned they are beginning to drop support for IE 6. This is a tricky decision but not a new one as sites have dropped support for older browsers many times. You need to know your sites browser client stats to know if this makes sense for you.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

If you prefer OS X, and you are only using the Windows boxes to test the site look and functionality in, you could get away with using VMWare to run a virtual PC and test that way. You could even run IE in Unity mode so that you could have Windows IE, OS X Safari, etc all next to each other to compare what may not look the same.

As far as coding, it probably makes less of a difference, unless you are using .Net or something along those lines. I'm not sure that anything compares to Visual Studio for working/coding with .Net, in which case you'd be better off running that in Windows. Otherwise I would think that other web development would be a matter of system preference of the user.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Text Fading In Effect?? | Random Background Images... »