Thread: Web Host

Specs:
    24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod
    Web Host
    Could anyone recommend an affordable and reliable web host for conducting business? I would like a package that includes a reliable user friendly shopping cart. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
    Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving

Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro 4GB
    I've been looking at two recently for my Little Brother - www.godaddy.com and www.1and1.com - both are reasonably priced, offer competitive services, shopping carts, etc., and can be set up with very little hassle.
    Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
    Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie

Do not, I repeat, Do not use GoDaddy as a host provider.

They tend to lock down way too much on there servers which cause issues for the customers. I suggest only purchasing domains from them and possibly SSL Certs if needed.

Other webhost providers you should look into are DreamHost.com, MediaTemple.com, & Flashlevel.net

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
    I use little Oak Hosting and the support is fantastic and Mac-friendly. I use it now for hosting my business website as well as some personal sites. They have a low-end package for $25 a year, as well as larger packages if you need more storage space or bandwidth. I don't know about hosting a shopping cart with them since I use Kagi and eSellerate for my business, but you can email Christopher at little Oak and he'll let you know if that service is available.

Claire
    Claire Rottenberg
    Homepage: Mac Tips and More
    Follow me on Twitter

Specs:
    13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
    i second mediatemplate, its who I'm moving to after my godaddy expires.

Specs:
    24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod
    Thanks everyone.

We are mac centric hosts.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    We have a hosting company also, but no website at this point We have a lot of clients on it and the main thing we offer is support for the eShox shopping cart. It is a paid for cart, but it's one of the best out there and our company can modify it to do whatever the client needs that is special to their business. Plus of course free shopping carts that come along with the fantastico hosting package.

I also 2nd the godaddy thing that was said.. they are cheap, but they lock everything down so that if you want anything but a basic website you won't be able to use them.

If you have any questions, regardless of whether you use our service or not, Im happy to answer them

Specs:
    13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryLynch View Post
    I've been looking at two recently for my Little Brother - www.godaddy.com and www.1and1.com - both are reasonably priced, offer competitive services, shopping carts, etc., and can be set up with very little hassle.
    And take my word for it - dont take either GoDaddy or 1and1.com. If you want a good service - go with a more customer based web hosting. You will get crappy service from both GoDaddy and 1and1.com
    Billy Koch
    A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side...

Has anyone used InMotion for hosting services for small businesses? I am developing a community forum/chat based website and need a starting point for hosting. It will eventually be more dynamic than your typical forum style site, such as this one. (No offense to this site because it's great!)

I've glanced over the sister site for hosting, but at first glance the jargon is way over my head and takes some time to really dive into. I figured I'd chime in here before I invest a lot of time into scouring those boards.

I see myself starting out with a shared server, maybe push that envelope into the virtual shared level, and eventually a dedicated server. I'll cross those bridges when I get there, but I'd like a customer service oriented, relatively cheap (under $20 a month) host provider that will respond to my issues and concerns in a timely manner. I'm assuming the competency is already there, obviously.

Thank you in advance.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Hi Justin, nope I do not, or any of my clients use InMotion, sorry. We have 4 hosting packages, they are not the cheapest, but we do provide the exact type of support you are looking for, we are very quick through email and are almost always available by phone. We do host a lot of clients and even though they can get it cheaper elsewhere, they do love the fact that we provide excellent support

BRONZE - $8.95 ($107.40 Yearly)
    150MB storage, 3GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Yearly

SILVER - $14.95 ($44.85 Quarterly)
    400MB storage, 7GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Quarterly

GOLD - $25.95 ($77.85 Quarterly)
    1000MB storage, 15GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Quarterly

PLATINUM - $49.95 (Monthly)
    3000MB storage, 40GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Monthly

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Rick

I suggest http://www.hostmonster.com
    i've been using them for a while and their great and their unlimited FTP is really easy to use too.

Thread Information