New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Web Host

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DaZ

DaZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod

Could anyone recommend an affordable and reliable web host for conducting business? I would like a package that includes a reliable user friendly shopping cart. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

MD webhosting is great
http://www.mdwebhosting.com.au/webhosting/

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

I've been looking at two recently for my Little Brother - www.godaddy.com and www.1and1.com - both are reasonably priced, offer competitive services, shopping carts, etc., and can be set up with very little hassle.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
theDarkStranger

theDarkStranger is on a distinguished road

Do not, I repeat, Do not use GoDaddy as a host provider.

They tend to lock down way too much on there servers which cause issues for the customers. I suggest only purchasing domains from them and possibly SSL Certs if needed.

Other webhost providers you should look into are DreamHost.com, MediaTemple.com, & Flashlevel.net
QUOTE Thanks
Clairejr

Clairejr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4

I use little Oak Hosting and the support is fantastic and Mac-friendly. I use it now for hosting my business website as well as some personal sites. They have a low-end package for $25 a year, as well as larger packages if you need more storage space or bandwidth. I don't know about hosting a shopping cart with them since I use Kagi and eSellerate for my business, but you can email Christopher at little Oak and he'll let you know if that service is available.

Claire

Claire Rottenberg
Homepage: Mac Tips and More
Follow me on Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
davidsword

davidsword is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook

i second mediatemplate, its who I'm moving to after my godaddy expires.
QUOTE Thanks
DaZ

DaZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod

Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
InfTek

InfTek is on a distinguished road

We are mac centric hosts.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

We have a hosting company also, but no website at this point We have a lot of clients on it and the main thing we offer is support for the eShox shopping cart. It is a paid for cart, but it's one of the best out there and our company can modify it to do whatever the client needs that is special to their business. Plus of course free shopping carts that come along with the fantastico hosting package.

I also 2nd the godaddy thing that was said.. they are cheap, but they lock everything down so that if you want anything but a basic website you won't be able to use them.

If you have any questions, regardless of whether you use our service or not, Im happy to answer them
QUOTE Thanks
Defsolutions

Defsolutions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryLynch View Post
I've been looking at two recently for my Little Brother - www.godaddy.com and www.1and1.com - both are reasonably priced, offer competitive services, shopping carts, etc., and can be set up with very little hassle.
And take my word for it - dont take either GoDaddy or 1and1.com. If you want a good service - go with a more customer based web hosting. You will get crappy service from both GoDaddy and 1and1.com

Billy Koch
A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side...
QUOTE Thanks
JustinRiney

JustinRiney is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used InMotion for hosting services for small businesses? I am developing a community forum/chat based website and need a starting point for hosting. It will eventually be more dynamic than your typical forum style site, such as this one. (No offense to this site because it's great!)

I've glanced over the sister site for hosting, but at first glance the jargon is way over my head and takes some time to really dive into. I figured I'd chime in here before I invest a lot of time into scouring those boards.

I see myself starting out with a shared server, maybe push that envelope into the virtual shared level, and eventually a dedicated server. I'll cross those bridges when I get there, but I'd like a customer service oriented, relatively cheap (under $20 a month) host provider that will respond to my issues and concerns in a timely manner. I'm assuming the competency is already there, obviously.

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Hi Justin, nope I do not, or any of my clients use InMotion, sorry. We have 4 hosting packages, they are not the cheapest, but we do provide the exact type of support you are looking for, we are very quick through email and are almost always available by phone. We do host a lot of clients and even though they can get it cheaper elsewhere, they do love the fact that we provide excellent support

BRONZE - $8.95 ($107.40 Yearly)
150MB storage, 3GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Yearly

SILVER - $14.95 ($44.85 Quarterly)
400MB storage, 7GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Quarterly

GOLD - $25.95 ($77.85 Quarterly)
1000MB storage, 15GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Quarterly

PLATINUM - $49.95 (Monthly)
3000MB storage, 40GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Monthly

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Rick
QUOTE Thanks
GoodTimeJoey

GoodTimeJoey is on a distinguished road

I suggest http://www.hostmonster.com
i've been using them for a while and their great and their unlimited FTP is really easy to use too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« JavaScript Gallery Help | css/html question »