New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Is there any way to use javascript to disable the File toolbar for Apple Macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sexymaclady

sexymaclady is on a distinguished road

I am using javascript to open a new window with no menus when a user clicks a button. For IE and Firefox on Windows, it works just fine - the problem is that for a Mac, I still get the toolbar / menubar which says File, Edit, View, History, etc...

Is there a way to get rid of this Menubar / Toolbar?

Thanks in advance!

BTW - I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of responses from people who think this is bad programming practice and why one should not do this. Please save your time and mine and skip it. I work for a non-profit with a boss who insists I need to do this (or get fired), so...any help?

xoxoxo
Thanks!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Doubt it. You are talking about removing the menu bar. It is not part of the window which is likely as far as Javascript (or Java) within a browser can affect.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The menu bar, being outside of the scope of the browser window, is beyond the jurisdiction of Javascript, period.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
sexymaclady

sexymaclady is on a distinguished road

Gotcha. Is there another way to do what I want (or basically since I am creating a web page, there is no way to affect the menu bar)? Even if it's not javascript, is there something else that can be used? I want to prevent someone from saving the web page I'm making.

xoxo
Thanks!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexymaclady View Post
I want to prevent someone from saving the web page I'm making.
LOL! Oh, sorry, your serious.

There are ways to use Javascript to not let people cut from your page. I'm not sure about stopping people from using the save, show source, and print commands though, but that is some of what you would need to cover.

Perhaps using Flash would allow you to do that, to a point. If your trying to protect the source, there are tools to 'encrypt' it. So they claim. Of course the search engines would likely not index the page, if that is important to you.

In the end I think the best you can do is put blocks in place against the average person. An advanced user will find ways around those blocks. Here are two interesting links 3 years apart that say 'NO'. Link 1, Link 2.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« text entry help | iWeb Template Question »