New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Online Search Facility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobdaspider

bobdaspider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4

Am in process of designing a commercial site and client has requested that it includes a Search Facility... Uhmn, question is, how easy is it to create a site specific Search Facility or will it be easier to purchase this function from a 3rd party commercial source? Note, am not a programmer but able to 'play' with CSS. Thx in advance.

^o^
QUOTE Thanks
fstjohn

fstjohn is on a distinguished road

I went with a third party search function http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/index.html
it's about a hundred bucks, easy to use, works with stylesheets and fits nicely into a DW template.

whats cooler is if your site is under 50 pages, you can get away with using the free edition (although buying it really is a good investment)
ummm - ooops, forgot where I was - y'see, it only runs on Windows.... and... um - I posted my rather moot suggestion in a Mac forum - oops. So, if you have access to a PC - you can do the indexing on there while you do the site's work on your Mac (like I do)
QUOTE Thanks
bobdaspider

Thx for that fstjohn - the client is actually PC/Windows based, so maybe there is an opportunity to sort something out (plus they also have a PC version of Dreamweaver)... Either way, will certainly take a look at the wrensoft option. Thx again.

^o^
QUOTE Thanks
fstjohn

fstjohn is on a distinguished road

glad to hear it! I was expecting the flames (not from you) to start fast and furious after I dropped the "W-Bomb" in this forum... whew!
QUOTE Thanks
bobdaspider

Anyone interested in a free and workable Search engine (function) for their website - then look at Tipue (www.tipue.com), very impressive - uses javascript, CSS and xml. Needs a bit of time to work out what this and that option/code does but very customisable nonetheless...

^o^
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ebook creator for Mac | Site Search Engine Text Behaviour... »