New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Problems with hyperlinks "newbie"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alanj

alanj is on a distinguished road

Hi all, well im a new convert from pc to mac. Ive just finished a website for my littleuns preschool and now decided that im going to re do it with iweb. the only problem is that when i highlight the text and click on the inspector to enable as hyperlink it always sends me to the http//:livepage.apple.com ??? i click on all the right buttons, so open in new window, enable as hyperlink, make hyperlinks active. i copy and paste the web add in as it a big link to an ofstead report. but then when i click on the link to test it it just goes to apple? ive been sat here for an hour trying to figure it out but i cant. Im using ilife 08, its updated. I dont have a dot mac account yet but i cant see that being the issue does anyone have any ideas??
the link below is the one i need to use. cheers AlanJ

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/portal/site...6_01032007.xml
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

First, it looks like iWeb doesn't like the length of the URL. A hack would be to link to a page you manually construct that redirects to the site you want.

Second, in that inspector, uncheck the "Make hyperlinks active" at the bottom before selecting the link. That will allow you edit your links rather than end up at them.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
First, it looks like iWeb doesn't like the length of the URL. A hack would be to link to a page you manually construct that redirects to the site you want.
If that's the issue would it not, perhaps, be easier just to reduce the length of the hyperlink using something like tinyurl..
QUOTE Thanks
CircularSaw

CircularSaw will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook

Hi all,
Got a macbook yesterday. I've not used iweb but if you can edit the page source code directly you can use the following:

<a href="http://www.yoururlhere.com">This is the text that will display</a>

Obviously you replace yoururlhere with the real url. I've tested it with the link you want to use and it's fine.

Is iweb a WYSIWYG tool? i.e. you can drag and drop and the actual code is put together by the application?

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

CicularSaw has the right idea.

In iWeb 08 under the Insert menu is "HTML Snippet". This allows one to add custom html. Choose that and insert the HTML needed to perform the link. I just tried it and it worked properly for your long URL. The text to insert looks something like this;
This is my <a href="theUrlLinkHere">link</a> to Ofsted.
The big URL string replaces the text theUrlLinkHere. Keep those quote marks.

If you want to pop up another page then try to place, TARGET="Content", just before the first > sign.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hyperlinks WITHOUT underlining? How? | .mac questions? »