Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2008
    Posts
    9
    Question Do OS X users have issues accessing phpBB3 based forums?
    Not a mac user myself, but I've got a phpBB 3.0.1 based online forum and I recently spoke with a user who has issues viewing the site correctly with her Mac OSX computer (I selected 10.0, but I really have no idea which one it is). She said the site displayed as just a bunch of lines. Is this a known issue or just a freak occurrence? Does anyone know of any possible work-arounds for this?

    Thanks,
    Alex

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2008
    Posts
    477
    What's the site?

    I don't think I would know off hand what forums I go to are phpBB3 or not. I can't recall ever going to a site and just getting lines before.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyciaAnimation View Post
    What's the site?

    I don't think I would know off hand what forums I go to are phpBB3 or not. I can't recall ever going to a site and just getting lines before.
    PM sent

  4. #4

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,052
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    could you post the URL? I have many macs here with 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 OSX and can check the forums on all of them and get back to you.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    could you post the URL? I have many macs here with 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 OSX and can check the forums on all of them and get back to you.
    PMed

  6. #6

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,052
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Going to fire up some other systems to be sure, but on Leopard and Safari 3.1.1 it's fine. Looks like a normal phpBB with no issues at all. Will update this post when I check it on older versions of OSX and Safari.

    Ok, I tried my G4 with Tiger 10.4.11 and it's just like with Leopard. Site looks fine. Went into many of the threads and nothing looked wrong at all.

    Right now on my old iMac G3 333Mhz with 10.3.9 Panther and the Safari that comes with it. Ditto. Site looks perfect here also.

    I don't know what is going on with that persons Mac but something is wrong.

    Hope this helps.

    Send them here. Maybe we can help with their issue.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Going to fire up some other systems to be sure, but on Leopard and Safari 3.1.1 it's fine. Looks like a normal phpBB with no issues at all. Will update this post when I check it on older versions of OSX and Safari.
    Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it.

    Are Mac-users nicer/more helpful than the average Joe or something?

  8. #8

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I replied in your old thread as well, but here it is again just in case you missed it:

    Sounds like a font issue...

    Open Font Book, press "command + a" to select all and then go to "File > Validate fonts".

    That should check all fonts installed on the system for errors.
    Resolve any errors and the issue should hopefully go away.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    I replied in your old thread as well, but here it is again just in case you missed it:

    Sounds like a font issue...

    Open Font Book, press "command + a" to select all and then go to "File > Validate fonts".

    That should check all fonts installed on the system for errors.
    Resolve any errors and the issue should hopefully go away.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass on the info to my user. This does sound like it could be the culprit.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Going to fire up some other systems to be sure, but on Leopard and Safari 3.1.1 it's fine. Looks like a normal phpBB with no issues at all. Will update this post when I check it on older versions of OSX and Safari.

    Ok, I tried my G4 with Tiger 10.4.11 and it's just like with Leopard. Site looks fine. Went into many of the threads and nothing looked wrong at all.

    Right now on my old iMac G3 333Mhz with 10.3.9 Panther and the Safari that comes with it. Ditto. Site looks perfect here also.

    I don't know what is going on with that persons Mac but something is wrong.

    Hope this helps.

    Send them here. Maybe we can help with their issue.
    Well the user in question was a teacher trying to access the site from an emac that wasn't her own. She's not having issues on her own computer.

    I copied and pasted the replies you guys left me on my site, and I'll make a link to your site in case any other of my users have Macs.

    Thanks again for all your help!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
  2. Nearly half of small business users accessing work email use iPhone
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 08:42 PM
  3. Newbie needs help accessing/printing from iMac to XP based Network
    By Primitive in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
  4. Mac OS 9.2 User can't use phpBB3 forum
    By amm888 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •