New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Lost domain

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frisbeefodder

frisbeefodder is on a distinguished road

I basically do design and development - also hosting.
I have a new client who has a bit of a nightmare story... Years ago another design company registered their domain (A .co.uk domain) on their behalf.

The design company have since gone bust. Their number and email doesn't work any more.

SO my client has no access to their domain settings and has been without their web site and domain for weeks now. The domain is registered in the name of the design company and not my client.

They have asked me to take over their site and hosting - but any ideas where to start?

I have contacted Nominet but was wondering if there are any other methods as I haven't heard back.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

You'll have to talk to the registrar and see what they will accept to show proof of ownership. If you can show you have access to the website, and that the company using the website is who you say they are, they will probably accept some type of verification process.

I went through a sort of similar process recently where we had to fill out a form and fax/send it back to them with various ID numbers and such for the non-profit it was for.
QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

Thanks, unfortunately there is no access to anything, just a registered domain that doesn't function... hopefully writing to Nominet/registrar is a step in the right direction
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

It may be the only step you can take. If you can, you may want to call them and try and talk directly to someone to start the process. I take it the domain points to a webhost provider that is no longer around as well, or is it that the username/password were something that only the defunct company knew?
QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

Yes, well, unfortunately both. The domain points to a defunct server and also the previous company have the username and password to manage the domain.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

The other option you have is waiting until the domain expires and then re-registering it at that point, although of course that's probably not very feasible for a company.
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Have you tried contacting GoDaddy.com or another company to see maybe what they can do?

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video to put in webpage | Facebook problem? »