New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

FireFox table gaps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FinnIII

FinnIII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro: 2.16 GHz 2GB ram

I'm working on a website in Dreamweaver 8 and when I preview it in FF (firefox) it has huge gaps in the tables, it doesn't do this in IE (internet explorer). I know you're supposed to make it look right in FF and it will work in everything else, but I can't see what's wrong.

http://www.alisonjeffery.com/gallery.html
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Well, if you are setting the column widths, you may have gaps if the browser window's width is different than what you are testing in.

Depending on where the gaps are you are referring to (in the cells? between cells?) you could set the cellpadding and cellspacing values to a set number rather than letting each browser default to a value.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

You shouldn't use tables to create a layout, you should use tables to create tables (like a table with data in it, like Excel makes them).

Element abuse almost always leads to bad display. I don't know how Dreamweaver can mend this, but it's where the problem lies.
QUOTE Thanks
imnothardcore

imnothardcore is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G

hed have to use css, i still dont know it but its pretty easy. its incorporated into the new dreamweaver. however i dont know it i focus on flash more.

if you have alot of drive id recommend using css its amazing, and you can do alot more.
QUOTE Thanks
imnothardcore

imnothardcore is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G

i briefly looked at your code (im at work) wondering if your problem lies in mixing percents for size with pixels?...

i just looked quick i could be wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

It's ok to mix them as long as you aren't trying to mix them in cells in the same row. A table can have a px value, but the columns are percentages of that set width.

I see now that you do have the cellpadding/etc values set, but why are all the cells set to have a height of 0 when they are clearly not empty? And yes, CSS is a must to learn. It would help tidy that up a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
FinnIII

FinnIII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro: 2.16 GHz 2GB ram

I really need to learn css layout, I have taught myself since I was about 10 so I didn't necessarily learn the best ways around problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Well, basically CSS just lets you store settings under a name so that you don't have to change settings all over the place when you need to update a layout. You can store them in the same HTML page, but it makes more sense to create a separate CSS file that you can link into any page you need it in.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Finn, what is it supposed to look like? It's hard to know what's wrong - and how to fix it.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS = no JAVA? | Upload iWeb Site with Dreamweaver?! »