New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

total newbie needs help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sim101

sim101 is on a distinguished road

I have a website hosting company but have absolutely no idea how to upload my lightroom built website to its server, the file manager has many folders but I do not know which files to put where, my lightroom website folder contains a folder called bin which contains images (small, medium, large and thumbs) a index html and a folder called resources which has a few files and folders, gallery .swf, a few xmls and a javscript file, please help I am a fish out of water here but would very much like to learn what files go where, thanks very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just upload the entire directory as it is and then access it via:
www.yourwebsiteaddress/thelightroomdirectoryname

Most applications take care of the nitty-gritty details for you, so you can just upload the directory as it is.
QUOTE Thanks
sim101

sorry I am really stupid, that makes no sense to me, i have folders in my website hosting companies file manager, i have

public_ftp
public_html
tmp

these seem to be the most important, i cannot upload the whole folder that lightroom created it will only let me upload individual files, sorry I know I am way behind the rest of the planet but am trying to learn the simplest way of creating a professional looking flash website and uploading it, cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

Well, public_html and www may be point to the same place. What you can do is try posting a test file on one site and see if you can get to it. Then you know you have the correct directory for uploading/FTP'ing your files to.

If you need to, you can create a folder in that location then (e.g. the www directory) called 'test' and upload all those files. Then browsing to that location in your web browser will let you know if it's working or not (e.g. www.websitename.com/test). Once you get it all tweaked you can then publish it to your main directory (right in the root of www or whichever).
QUOTE Thanks
frisbeefodder

frisbeefodder is on a distinguished road

It seems you are using the online file manager?

You need an FTP application in order to upload an entire folder. I don't personally use this but it's a free one I know people have used. http://cyberduck.ch/.

You should have an FTP username and login - then you log into the server and choose where you want to upload your files.

The public_html folder is normally the one you would need to upload into.
QUOTE Thanks
sim101

Cheers for your help guys got it all sorted now and am pleased with the results for a first timer www.simonluther.co.uk
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Facebook problem? | Apache2 not running »