New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

File permission errors!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Ok So I know that although this is a web hosting issue, that I probably could have gotten more answers putting this in OS X but I am trying to keep the place organized and save some of the moderators the head ache of moving it any way.

I will start by quoting an e-mail I got from my host when I told them that I was having a problem with updated files being forbidden.

Quote:
The
problems seems to be that the permissions for some of the .htm files are
wrong, such as:
-rw------- 1 exquisitefilming pg1195744 5.0K 2008-03-19 13:05 video.htm
-rw------- 1 exquisitefilming pg1195744 5.1K 2008-03-19 13:05
samplevideo.htm
-rw------- 1 exquisitefilming pg1195744 5.2K 2008-03-19 13:05
samplemontage.htm

I've changed all of the permissions to be 644 instead of 600 as above and
can confirm your pages are now loading correctly:
-rw-r--r-- 1 exquisitefilming pg1195744 5.0K 2008-03-19 13:05 video.htm
-rw-r--r-- 1 exquisitefilming pg1195744 5.1K 2008-03-19 13:05
samplevideo.htm
-rw-r--r-- 1 exquisitefilming pg1195744 5.2K 2008-03-19 13:05
samplemontage.htm
So apparently my permissions are set wrong when i add new files. My question that I am currently having is how can I change these files to be correct before I upload them to my server so that I don't get issues like this (currently I have no website because the current file that I updated was the index so if any body visits my site they're not going to see anything which causes a problem)

Thanks for any help you guys could offer me,
Louis

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

AS far as I know, you can only set permissions at the server end

Is your name Louis as well by the way
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

yes it is lol.

Edit: I would like to apologize to the unit for my freaking out over such a simple issue. I have fixed it and will inform any body else who is freaking out how to fix it in the future. Because of LouisHen I was able to think calmly and not worry that I had to do something in terminal. I right clicked on my file in cyberduck and added the read file permission for everybody. My site is now back up!

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You are now the fifth Louis I have met (well, I haven't really met you)

1. Some guy I meet on a train in Switzerland (he was doing his national service)

2. A child on a school trip in the science museum in london, the teacher shouted out "Louis" and I turned around to see who was shouting at me

3. A guy at a party - don't remember much else

4. A louis in Malta who emailed me (he has exactly the same first and last name as me)

5. You

I have also met plenty of Louises in case there are too many guys in this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mac monthly bandwidth | Safari 3 features »