New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Does pushing the red gel button really close the application?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I am a Windows refugee seeking asylum. Can someone explain what actually happens when you click the red close button on a window? I've noticed that the window closes, but the menu bar at the top of the screen often stays open.

With a PC, when you click close, the application closes completely. Windows mobile devices have no close button. They only minimize the application. The OS closes the application only when it needs the RAM for another running process. Is this the situation with the Mac?

Is there a way to actually close the application in a single click. I realize there is a keyboard shortcut.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

To put it simply...you close windows. You quit applications.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Nope, the red button only closes (minimizes) the window. To quit it, hit "Command+Q".

QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

What they said, the close window button is just that... a button to close the window, you will notice the little light under the apps in your dock, those indicate that the application is still running and not quit, to quit when you are in the app (it is the menu currently open) you can press command+Q or click on it's name in the menu and than click quit... or go to the app in the dock right click of hold down left click until a menu pops up and click quit application!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

If I don't close the applications when I finish with them, will I see diminished performance, or does the OS take away the RAM they are using when it is needed for other tasks?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Since you're not actually quitting applications, they're still running in the background, albeit using fewer resources. The upside is that they load rather quickly.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

If it still has the little arrow or orb under it the application when it is still shown in the dock, then you have only closed it, not quit the application altogether. So therefore the application is still using resources and quietly running in the background.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

It also depends on the application though. Sometimes when you close the window it quits the application. Like iMovie quits when you close the window. I can't remember all applications that behave this way.

Maybe I'm just used to it, but it seems that the apps that don't quit when you close the window don't for a good reason. Like Mail. I don't want mail to quit every time I close the window because I still want it to fetch my mail.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's the applications where you can only open a single window of that close when you click on the red button.

If you don't want to close Mail but don't want to minimize it either, try hiding it. It's still running in the background but you don't have to worry about it taking up extra space in your Dock. Do this by either pressing Command + H or right clicking on the Mail icon and selecting Hide.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Is there a key stoke to close all applications at once?

So far I subscribe to putting my Mac to sleep as opposed to shutting it down every night. During a typical day, I will probably open 6-8 different applications. Should I manually shut these down each night?

(Polling the viewers) How many applications can you leave running in the background without seeing diminished performance?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
(Polling the viewers) How many applications can you leave running in the background without seeing diminished performance?
There are too many variables for a meaningful answer. It depends on the amount of RAM in the machine, the model of machine, it's processing speed, the resources an application uses when static, an app's RAM handling. . . . It goes on and on.

Other than logging out, a single AppleScript, or perhaps Automator command could quit everything, but I don't know one or know of one off-hand. I know nothing of Leopard, either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help my Mac is dead! | Windows on Mac need antivirus? »