Santa Fe, NM
    12" G4 Powerbook & 80g iPod classic
    is this what it is supposed to sound like?
    First off, let me tell everyone, I love my new mac. Not two weeks after I got it, I had to send my PC to the shop to get fixed. For now, I am running completely off my powerbook and it is fantastic!

Now, the real question. When I insert a CD in to the drive, my computer makes a lot of racket. Whirring, clicking, robotic noises. They only happen when the cd is loading and ejecting. Not during actual use. Is that normal? I figure that it is, since it is not an ejectable tray drive. But, I thought that I would ask, just to make sure.
    What do you know if you don't know yourself?

Well, it's normal for the PowerBook to make lots of noise when the CD is in the drive (every PowerBook does that, don't worry ), but it shouldn't click in normal use. I guess it is a sort of clicking noise it makes when you eject the CD, but it shouldn't click when in use.

I think your PowerBook is normal, unless it's clicking when the CD is actually in the drive. Then you have a problem, you should probably take it into your local Apple store.

Good luck!

I think your PowerBook is normal. Unless you and me both have faulty models. I put a disk in, it makes clicking and funny noises, I got worried the first time and then the paranoia disappeared

Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Yes, it's supposed to sound as though it's shredding your cd into millions of little pieces, iBooks do that as well...

But it scared me ****less too the first time I put my beloved limited editition smashing pumpkins cd in there to rip...

Thread Information