Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Delete key?????????? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/9938-delete-key.html)

agentphish 10-08-2004 12:11 PM

Delete key??????????

is there a true "delete" key, as I know it from my PC, and the Mac desktops i've used, on my powerbook?
It really pisses me off that i have this key that says "DELETE" on it, but its really a "Backspace" key. I can't seem to erase things from in front of my cursor, only behind it when i press the backspace key.
So far, my ONLY gripe about my powerbook.
I LOVE tHIS THING!

m1k 10-08-2004 01:23 PM

Nope, there is no true Delete Key on the PowerBook. There's just not enough space on your keyboard to fit one on. Everything else is squished as is, it would be unrealistic to fit an extra key on.

Do you acually look at your keyboard when you type, or do you type by feel? I type by feel, so it doesn't really bother me that the Backspace key says Delete, because I don't see it. And I've never really had to delete anything in front of my cursor...

A minor gripe with the PowerBook, unfortunately yes.

Graeme43 10-08-2004 05:03 PM

The delete key on my iBook is FN + Backspace = delete

agentphish 10-08-2004 08:32 PM

FN+delete is it! great. thanks, i kept trying apple+ delete

peace

Aptmunich 10-09-2004 08:15 AM

Wierd, on my iBook G4 it doesn't say delete at all, it says <- which is backspace right?

Strange that they would use different labels on the 2 'books..

Graeme43 10-09-2004 08:31 AM

<- is backspace

fn and <- is the same as a delete key

iSheep 10-09-2004 03:32 PM

On the British PowerBooks it says <- but on the American ones it says 'delete'.

juanmantoya 12-10-2007 10:18 PM

What is the description of that keyboard shortcut, and can it be changed to a more convenient combination of keys?

Joe Redifer 12-11-2007 09:27 PM

DELETE deletes whether it says DELETE or BACKSPACE on it. It just deletes in the opposite direction. If you highlight something and press backspace or the real delete key, the result is the same. I am using a Mac with a real keyboard that has two Delete keys on it (one is the backspace) and I rarely ever need to use the forward one.

I'm not sure why someone would take issue with the backspace key being labeled as DELETE when it actually does delete.

jacintosh 12-11-2007 09:53 PM

I agree......Hit the key, and it deletes backward. Highlight it...and the whole word goes...seems simple to me. No different on a PC.

Bugeyes 01-04-2010 08:38 AM

Problem solved with fantastic program!

DoubleCommand (doublecommand.sourceforge,net) is a small open source program that lets you remap your keys on a mac keyboard. There are 2-3 different choices for remapping the delete key. I chose right-alt for my delete key. Works very well and I only need one key for it! The program shows up in System Preferences.

Try it out!

Graeme43 01-04-2010 09:02 AM

sorry to say but this is almost a 6 year old topic lol

OnceYouGoMac 01-05-2010 12:06 AM

Why would the Windows version be the "true" version? Apple had that key as early as 1980 something, way before Bill Gates ever tried it. Apple is the "true" version.

Graeme43 01-05-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac (Post 973731)
Why would the Windows version be the "true" version? Apple had that key as early as 1980 something, way before Bill Gates ever tried it. Apple is the "true" version.

just like the first version of word was for the mac.... then billy goat ripped off the platform and caused a lawsuit and got away with it

KYGirl 01-08-2010 02:05 PM

It's ironic....I just bought my first Mac a week ago & had the same thought about the Delete key (that it performed as the Windows version of Backspace), but I had just accepted it as one of the Mac differences from the Windows platform. It only took once or twice of trying to use the Delete button like I would in a Windows environment....now I have my brain programmed to use it as Mac had intended.
And....it is also funny that this post was originally created back in 2004.....some things just don't change, which I guess could be a good thing for Mac!!