New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Delete key??????????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Again, why should the Windows key marking be the authentic, standard, true version, when Apple had that key a decade before Microsoft did? I demand an answer.
QUOTE Thanks
Bugeyes

Bugeyes is on a distinguished road

Ha! Because Windows users are used to a delete key, that's why. Now if Mac made it a little easier for Windows users to migrate, Apple would have a larger share of the market.
QUOTE Thanks
cmb13

cmb13 is on a distinguished road

This issue annoys me too.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

but is apple was more like windows.. it wouldnt be an apple.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Again, since Apple invented the Delete key, and Microsoft copied it years later, why should the Microsoft version be the "real" version? I am asking for a logical argument, not just an appeal to the people.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I never knew this could be an issue. . . the Delete key on an Apple keyboard has the same functions as the Backspace key on a Windows machine keyboard.

Additionally,

To backspace a single character, press it once.

To delete a word, Option + Delete

To delete an entire line, Command + Delete

Not sure how it works when using Bootcamp or a VM.

QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Since Apple invented the Delete key two decades ago, before Microsoft existed, I am wont to say that it is the correct way.
QUOTE Thanks
KYGirl

KYGirl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD

It's not that the Delete key is an issue, or annoying as an issue....it's just that as a converted Windows user, it does not perform as the only Delete key known to a Windows user would perform. This is after all, in the Newby/Switcher forum. No big deal one way or the other, because everyone still bought the Apple computer, right?? It's all good!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYGirl View Post
It's not that the Delete key is an issue, or annoying as an issue....it's just that as a converted Windows user, it does not perform as the only Delete key known to a Windows user would perform.
Command+Delete holds the same function as pressing delete on a Windows keyboard.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
Command+Delete holds the same function as pressing delete on a Windows keyboard.
Function-Delete .

I can't believe a conversation about a single key on a keyboard is still going on 14 posts later (2010 posts)...

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The only good thing about Windows 7... | what is a long time for a Mac to stay up? »