New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iWorks: Pages and Styles

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Veej

Veej is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right section, but I believe it is, so here goes!

I'm really disappointed at the word processing programs available for Mac. I draw quite a few sketch graphs for some of my subjects using Word - however, Word 2008 can't draw graphs! In Word 2007 (for PC) you could finely align lines - in 2008, every time you move the shape it moves too much so it's not good enough to draw graphs with.

As for Pages, it's great as a replacement to Microsoft Publisher, but for typing up class notes it's really not that user friendly! With Word 2007, I had various styles so my Economics essays would use a certain style, and then French essays would use another.
In Pages, I can create templates (with pre-written text elements already there) but I can't find a way to actually create new styles as you would in Word 2007.

Can anyone help out with a few tips?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Why not use a spreadsheet program like Numbers or Excel to create graphs?

I've bemoaned Pages lack of word processing power for awhile now, I still prefer Word. But in Pages do this:

Click the Blue button on the left:

Then it opens the Style drawer you can use to define styles...

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I wonder if you could use keynote to create charts and graphs

I haven't done this myself bur keynotes graphs are pretty slick (well Visually)
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

The keynote graphics and charts are also available to Pages and numbers.
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

Thanks for the screenie schweb, I've tried the styles drawer but as far as I'm aware it's only to change various style ements - you can't create completely new styles using it.

As for the graphs - they're sketch graphs so it's much easier to draw them rather than use a spreadsheeting program. There's no actual figures on them and often I've got to shade parts etc. so I find using a word processor to do them is a lot easier. I guess I could always do them in a graphics editing program as a last resort.

Cheers for the response so far, I'm starting to like this place! (Lot friendlier than many other Mac/Apple forums I've seen!)
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

Aargh, I've been working with Pages for like 20 minutes to do what would have taken 5 on Word 07. This is really frustrating me now....I might just end up using NeoOffice or OpenOffice...eurgh :S
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Hows this for starters?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 6.jpg (39.0 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

That's a new paragraph style, I'm beginning to think there is no 'style sets' in iWorks like Word.

Cheers for the help though, I think the best way might just be to create loads of various styles, forget style sets and then just mix and match.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac - Fusion | Running Counter Strike: Source via Crossover Mac »