New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Lexmark Double Sided Printing Greyed Out/Not Selectable


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Veej

 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 67
Veej is on a distinguished road

Veej is offline
Hi all,
I've got a Lexmark printer from which I can use double sided printing fine through the utility for Windows.

However, from my new MacBook Pro it doesn't let me choose the double sided option as it is greyed out or unselectable and it just says Two-Sided: Off.

I've tried various help pages on Lexmark's website, I've got the latest drivers for Leopard but it hasn't helped - as for Lexmark's support...pfft! I think they're all sleeping at workl phones are never answered.

It seems many people are experiencing the same on all various printer brands and someone had given a HP solution download but obviously it won't sort this LM printer out!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
LWC

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2006
Posts: 73
LWC will become famous soon enough

LWC is offline
Printer model number ???
QUOTE Thanks
vank66

 
Member Since: Jun 04, 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA.
Posts: 314
vank66 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

vank66 is offline
I have the same problem using a Z705 Lexmark. Let me know what works Van
QUOTE Thanks
LWC

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2006
Posts: 73
LWC will become famous soon enough

LWC is offline
From the Lexmark FTP site:
ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_..._1_0_0.pkg.zip

Contents:
*** Lexmark_CUPS_Driver Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip

SUMMARY
- The Lexmark CUPS Driver Patch will fix problems with duplex printing on Mac OS X 10.5.x.

INSTRUCTIONS
- If driver is not already installed, install the printer driver.
- Install the CUPS Driver patch
1. Unzip Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip.
2. Launch Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.
3. Follow the setup instructions and accept the License Agreement when prompted.
4. Complete the installation.
- You are now ready to print duplex jobs.

MORE INFORMATION
- You may still encounter problems with printing duplex jobs in some instances when using Best print quality, selecting no borders and number of pages per sheet is set to 6.

APPLIES TO
Printer Models: 6500 Series, 7500 Series, 9500 Series, 4800 Series, and 1500 Series
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.x

*** Lexmark PDE patch for Mac OS X 10.5.dmg
Applied to 9500 and 9300 for 10.5 patch to print using usb until full driver is ready from www.lexmark.com
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 67
Veej is on a distinguished road

Veej is offline
It's an X4550.

And thanks LWC, I think that's the same thing I tried last week with no luck.

However, I plan on doing a clean install and trying the above again. Until then, I've e-mailed Lexmark's Mac engineers team and am awaiting their response.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Excellent idea to email support for a product ! They're the ones that can best help, they made the product and know its limitations.

If they ever do get back to you, please post the answer, it might help others with the same dilemma as yours.
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 67
Veej is on a distinguished road

Veej is offline
Yeah, support sure does help but I'm not so sure this is a printer problem. The printer works great with Windows and I've seen other Mac users having similar problems with other brands of printers.
QUOTE Thanks
Gslexylady@aol

 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 2
Gslexylady@aol is on a distinguished road

Gslexylady@aol is offline
I had the same problem and finally was able to figure out the problem.

Go to: File, Print, drop down menu that says copies & pages, go to Layout, two sided: off drop down menu, and choose either Long edge binding or short edge binding, then hit print.

I kept looking for something to turn the two sided printing on but this was it. The printer is trying to find out how you want the pages to be printed. Either opening left to right double sided (like a book), which is long edge binding, or flip over from bottom to top which is short edge binding.

Try it, this works.
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 67
Veej is on a distinguished road

Veej is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslexylady@aol View Post
I had the same problem and finally was able to figure out the problem.

Go to: File, Print, drop down menu that says copies & pages, go to Layout, two sided: off drop down menu, and choose either Long edge binding or short edge binding, then hit print.

I kept looking for something to turn the two sided printing on but this was it. The printer is trying to find out how you want the pages to be printed. Either opening left to right double sided (like a book), which is long edge binding, or flip over from bottom to top which is short edge binding.

Try it, this works.
The problem is that the drop down box is greyed out so I can't select edge binding etc.

Out of interest, is an X4550 you have or do you have some other model of printer and what drivers are you using?

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Gslexylady@aol

 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 2
Gslexylady@aol is on a distinguished road

Gslexylady@aol is offline
I have an X6575.
QUOTE Thanks
vank66

 
Member Since: Jun 04, 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA.
Posts: 314
vank66 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

vank66 is offline
I never get a drop down menu,so I can't make any selection.I called lexmark support, and an Indian tech?? answered and said my printer wouldn't work with OS 10.5 which I have.It works, but without any drop down menus available.Oh well.
QUOTE Thanks
Veej

 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2007
Posts: 67
Veej is on a distinguished road

Veej is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslexylady@aol View Post
I have an X6575.
That's probably the difference then.

X4550 doesn't have double sided printing per se, so you have to 'manual duplex' which essentially means taking the printer pages out and re-inserting them so the other (blank) side is printed upon.

There's an option for this in Windows but not on OS X it seems.
QUOTE Thanks
fingers

 
Member Since: Oct 11, 2010
Posts: 1
fingers is on a distinguished road

fingers is offline
Clearly I am very late to this party but I had the same problem. Having downloaded the latest driver, I then deleted the printer from my list in system pres and then reselected it but went for the one that started with a '@' as I was using it on a network. It now works.

I should also say I was using an x544
QUOTE Thanks
RBT46

 
Member Since: Dec 14, 2011
Posts: 2
RBT46 is on a distinguished road

RBT46 is offline
I am having the same problems. OS x 10.7
It always tels me that the duplex unit is not installed.
Now I found the solution as quoted but the link doesn't open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
From the Lexmark FTP site:
ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_..._1_0_0.pkg.zip

Contents:
*** Lexmark_CUPS_Driver Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip

SUMMARY
- The Lexmark CUPS Driver Patch will fix problems with duplex printing on Mac OS X 10.5.x.

INSTRUCTIONS
- If driver is not already installed, install the printer driver.
- Install the CUPS Driver patch
1. Unzip Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.zip.
2. Launch Lexmark_CUPS_Driver_Patch_1_0_0.pkg.
3. Follow the setup instructions and accept the License Agreement when prompted.
4. Complete the installation.
- You are now ready to print duplex jobs.

MORE INFORMATION
- You may still encounter problems with printing duplex jobs in some instances when using Best print quality, selecting no borders and number of pages per sheet is set to 6.

APPLIES TO
Printer Models: 6500 Series, 7500 Series, 9500 Series, 4800 Series, and 1500 Series
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.x

*** Lexmark PDE patch for Mac OS X 10.5.dmg
Applied to 9500 and 9300 for 10.5 patch to print using usb until full driver is ready from Printers: Toner, All In One Printers, and Printer Ink | Lexmark
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,573
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT46 View Post
I am having the same problems. OS x 10.7
It always tels me that the duplex unit is not installed.
Now I found the solution as quoted but the link doesn't open.
That link was posted more than 3 years ago. I suggest you go directly to Lexmark and try to find your driver (probably through Support in the site menu).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« deleting a file? | Help! Duplicate Application icon/alias »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Wireless printing to Lexmark vettnutt Other Hardware and Peripherals 0 12-27-2006 12:07 PM
Printing wirelessly from PowerBook to Lexmark on XP edokid Switcher Hangout 5 03-15-2006 01:07 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?