New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

richarddowns

richarddowns is on a distinguished road

My daughter recently brought a second hand mac book. She called the other day and when she turns it on all that comes up is the folder with the question mark in it. Anyhow Ive had this computer sent home but when she moved out to uni she lost her install disk. Apple want silly money to replace this. Ive tried to install an off the shelf version of leopard and it tells me it is unable to install it on this computer. If I installed a new hard drive with leopard on this would this solve this particular problem or am i about to get fleeced by apple? I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have
QUOTE Thanks
MacService

MacService is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddowns View Post
My daughter recently brought a second hand mac book. She called the other day and when she turns it on all that comes up is the folder with the question mark in it. Anyhow Ive had this computer sent home but when she moved out to uni she lost her install disk. Apple want silly money to replace this. Ive tried to install an off the shelf version of leopard and it tells me it is unable to install it on this computer. If I installed a new hard drive with leopard on this would this solve this particular problem or am i about to get fleeced by apple? I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have
What MacBook do you have? What version of the Leopard installer do you have? There should be no issue with installing Leopard on a hard drive and then putting it in the machine, however with some MacBooks there may be issues with the scrolling trackpad (not being able to control scrolling with 2 fingers).
QUOTE Thanks
lightsguydave

lightsguydave will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB

The flashing folder screen is usually indicative of a corrupted startup disk or a corrupted install of OSX. Chances are, the hard drive's gone. Either that, or your OS is gone.

BUT NEVER FEAR FOR HELP IS HERE on the forums. Although not entirely from me xD cus I'm simple like that

From your OSX install utility, choose the disk utility, and try formatting the drive. This should clear the drive of any image faults it may have and remount the drive squeaky clean. Then try and install OSX on there. If this doesn't work, it's perfectly easy to replace the HDD for relatively little I replaced mine not too long ago with a 250 GB hard drive and it works sweet as a nut now

lemme know if there's anything more I can do

Dave

"Windows users swear at their computers, Mac users swear by their computers"
SUPPORT THE SAMARITANS AND BEFRIENDERS WORLDWIDE - providing emotional support for those with suicidal and despairing feelings.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Check | Can I mix Densities of RAM? »