Thread: Mac DivX

Angry Mac DivX
    Well I downloaded and installed DivX for Mac..
    And it installed a DivX folder in Applications...
    But there is no actualy DivX player on the computer? Does anyone know what thats all about? I know theres a codec and everything, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to install an actual player. Does anyone else have / had this problem? Thanks
    -Kev

Edit: I'm trying to get DivX because Quicktime won't play this AVI file I have, and I know that DivX will, but there is no DivX player on my computer after the install. If no one knows what I'm talking about, go to http://www.divx.com and donwload DivX for Mac OS X and see what I'm talking about....

hollerz1
    Quote Originally Posted by MUMacUser
    Well I downloaded and installed DivX for Mac..
    And it installed a DivX folder in Applications...
    But there is no actualy DivX player on the computer? Does anyone know what thats all about? I know theres a codec and everything, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to install an actual player. Does anyone else have / had this problem? Thanks
    -Kev

Edit: I'm trying to get DivX because Quicktime won't play this AVI file I have, and I know that DivX will, but there is no DivX player on my computer after the install. If no one knows what I'm talking about, go to http://www.divx.com and donwload DivX for Mac OS X and see what I'm talking about....
    Get the quicktime plugins on this page:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30825045710515

I've installed both and have never run into a DivX file Quicktime couldn't play!

Do you know why there isn't a divX player on my computer though?

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Because there's no such thing as a "DivX Player" for the Mac. Just a plugin to allow QuickTime Player to play DivX files.

agentphish
    use VLC.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Yeah, if you "install DivX" on your mac, it will simply enable programs to play back divx files.

Quicktime however, needs its own plugins to work with DivX (see link in post above)

VLC (=Video Lan Client) is a very powerfull video player that will handle DivX much better than quicktime, I'd recommend all mac users have this...

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Yeah, if you "install DivX" on your mac, it will simply enable programs to play back divx files.

Quicktime however, needs its own plugins to work with DivX (see link in post above)

VLC (=Video Lan Client) is a very powerfull video player that will handle DivX much better than quicktime, I'd recommend all mac users have this...
    Well, it's a little bit different...
    When you install DivX you get (just like on the PC) the DivX codec installed, not just playback enabled. I didn't need to add any plugin to Quicktime, after installing the DivX codec, it played DivX movies just fine. Maybe it depends of which version of Quicktime you use...
    And as it is a codec (short for coder-decoder), you also get the possibility (with Quicktime Pro, for example) to encode and export movies in DivX format.

And it's true, DivX for Mac (unlike for Windows) dosn't include a player. But personnally, I don't like VLC, it's the most crashy app I've ever had!
    For those movies Quicktime won't play, I use Mplayer. I didn't find any video file that Mplayer doesn't play, and it's a very stable app.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Sorry if I was being misleading, I was trying to keep wording simple, but thanks for the clarification!

I assumed from the above posting that there is a seperate codec for quicktime, but that was obviously a false assumption on my part.

I don't use quicktime as it doesn't playback fullscreen (except in the pro version) and when I expand 16:9 movies that have had the black areas cropped, it distorts the picture.

VLC works quite well for me, does occasionly have issues, but on the whole it gets the job done...

I've never tried Mplayer, will check it out though!

Thread Information