New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

mb or mbp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr_jared13

mr_jared13 is on a distinguished road

hey guys im new to mac-forums and have been reading around a fair bit. Wondering what you guys think. If i should get a mb or mbp
i would be using it at school, watching movies, a game or two, browsing the net and the normal stuff school kids do. Im leaning towards the mbp because i want a 15''screen and i like the backlight keyboard. and the 256mb graphics card that comes with it. All help would be appreciated thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

If you're insistent on a 15" screen then there is only one option for you. But if you're not that particular on it and the games you want to run aren't graphics intensive, you should think about the MB portability. This is the reason I decided on the MB instead of the MBP. I have a 15.4 Windows machine and it is too heavy and cumbersome to lug around for more than an hour or two. I can't even imagine what one of those 17" MBP would be like to carry around.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

If you're going to be doing any gaming, I'd go for the Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Check out this comparison chart I put together with the Macbook, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro. It pretty much breaks down every possible feature there is. It includes battery life, ports, weight, etc.

I'll agree with the others though, if you want to run decent games then the MBP is the front runner.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
beastykato

beastykato is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a MB and I too was contemplating purchasing a MBP instead. I don't know how you feel about spending so much money on a laptop but IMO you would be better off getting the MB in your case.

If you are planning on playing any newer games you will need the power the video card offers in the MBP though, but I think that you would be much better off purchasing a MB and getting a decent PC from Dell or something with an online discount coupon and still spend less than you would have on a single MBP.

If you must have a 15" screen, back-lit keyboard, and the "status" a MBP pro offers then by all means go for it. It is kind of a waste of money though if the only reason you need that extra power is for games alone.

White MacBook (2.2Ghz C2D, 4Gb RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD)
iPod Nano (Product) Red - 8GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with Echomac | i bought MBP 10 days ago and.... »