New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

myth?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vondie

vondie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33MHZ

I don't know if this is true....my friend told me that I have to unplug the power cord from my computer FIRST, before unplugging it from the wall....she said if i just unplug it from the wall, that it will mess up the logic board....is this true? has anyone heard of this?

I saw my mom set up our first PC when I was 10...recieved my first dell when I was 18, built 3-4 PC's after that...bought a used Ibook when I was 25...WHAT THE H E LL TOOK ME SO LONG?!
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

it doenst do anything, i done that all the time no problems so far
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

I've been doing it for months... computer seems fine.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

You should always power down your computer first then it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first. If your computer is powered up and you unplug it, it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first it's all potientially bad.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
vondie

vondie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33MHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdejt View Post
You should always power down your computer first then it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first. If your computer is powered up and you unplug it, it really doesn't matter which end you unplug first it's all potientially bad.
why? I like to take it wherever i go, and when i get near an outlet, i just plug myself back in....no good?

I saw my mom set up our first PC when I was 10...recieved my first dell when I was 18, built 3-4 PC's after that...bought a used Ibook when I was 25...WHAT THE H E LL TOOK ME SO LONG?!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Myth.

I unplug/plug in the power cord from the wall, from the computer, trip over it from time to time yanking it from the mag-safe (great feature) etc. all the time.

If logic board were getting fried by incorrect plugging it would be all over Apple's boards in uproar.

Macs are usually put to sleep for transport anyway. That's one of the advantages of a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I've been doing it for years.. no problems on any of my systems.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Bunch of malarkey. Just exactly how would the computer be able to tell which end of the cable was disconnected first? All it knows, it's either getting external power or it's not.

My MBP has been turned off a total of 2 times in 14 months (not counting the typical reboots you have to do on occasion). And it's unplugged, moved to another room, and re-plugged multiple times a week.

It's either a notebook and designed for mobil use or it's not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

verdejt HAD to be talking about desktops. I'm guessing the conversation here is referring to laptops...
???
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

Desktops or Laptops trons are trons like bobtomay says how does the computer know which end is unplugged first. If this discussion is about laptops then isn't it moot as laptops have internal batteries that take over as soon as 120volts is removed? Thedspeth how is VABCH I lived there for about 14 years but finally had to move back to NH for work. I really miss the area.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

Myth.

The end matters not. It's a circuit.

If it's a laptop, you can do it while it's running. If it's a desktop, shut down first. After that, pull it out of the machine or the wall first - it has no impact.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

I've been doing it for years and never had any problems. I say Myth. Maybe someone should send it to Mythbusters?

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

hndcvcboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD

Although it's very unlikely the possibility exists that a surge from the wall outlet could potentially travel back through the power cord and hit the Mother Board (MB). Simply turning off the computer first does NOT eliminate the possible risk because the electrical connection is still present. When you turn off the computer via the power button a good deal of the electrical components are still energized until they are completely disconnected. All electronic components are shielded to protect against this type of thing but one can never be too careful especially since your computer is so costly and probably has a good deal of your life stored on it. Therefore it is a good idea to power down the computer first, disconnect the power from the computer and then unplug from the wall. Also when connecting it's a good idea to plug into the wall outlet first then connect to the computer and power up. By doing it like this any potential surge can dissipate first.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop Publishing | Apple-Branded Mouse Mat »