New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which Microsoft Office do you prefer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cDaddy84

cDaddy84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB

So, I just got a new iMac this past weekend and I'm looking into purchasing Microsoft Office. However, I've read many reviews that the new 2008 version is missing many features of previous versions. My question is, which one do you all prefer?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDaddy84 View Post
So, I just got a new iMac this past weekend and I'm looking into purchasing Microsoft Office. However, I've read many reviews that the new 2008 version is missing many features of previous versions. My question is, which one do you all prefer?
Buy the new version. It has all of the features that you will need.
QUOTE Thanks
tharmsen

tharmsen is on a distinguished road

I upgraded to 2008 and couldn't be happier. It's vastly improved over 2004 in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

It runs smoother and is upto date with the new xml based doc standards
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Buy the new version. It has all of the features that you will need.
As long as you don't need VBA, legacy format export, custom error bars...

Better to buy the old version and get the free upgrade while you can. Then you can keep both around.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
As long as you don't need VBA, legacy format export, custom error bars...

Better to buy the old version and get the free upgrade while you can. Then you can keep both around.
For the common user, the new one will work just fine. Why would you run VBA on a non-Microsoft machine anyway? You would be MUCH better off running that on a Microsoft machine.

Most people will have no need for legacy format export; and as for custom error bars......are you serious?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Perhaps a different question should be asked --- do you really need MS Office at all? NeoOffice is MS Office compatible and it is free open source software. NeoOffice is the Mac port of OpenOffice.org, a very mature, very stable office suite. Have you considered this option?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For the common user, the new one will work just fine. Why would you run VBA on a non-Microsoft machine anyway? You would be MUCH better off running that on a Microsoft machine.

Most people will have no need for legacy format export; and as for custom error bars......are you serious?
Well, for the "common user" who does not need VBA compatibility, special export formats, or advanced features... iWork will work just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Well, for the "common user" who does not need VBA compatibility, special export formats, or advanced features... iWork will work just fine.
Meh, never used iWork. I just know that I have not had a single problem with any of the [missing] features in the new Office.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
I just know that I have not had a single problem with any of the [missing] features in the new Office.
I'm delighted for you.
QUOTE Thanks
cDaddy84

cDaddy84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - 24", 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD | iPod Nano 3G, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Perhaps a different question should be asked --- do you really need MS Office at all? NeoOffice is MS Office compatible and it is free open source software. NeoOffice is the Mac port of OpenOffice.org, a very mature, very stable office suite. Have you considered this option?
This looks tempting. I will give it a shot before I invest in something else. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

If you use Missing Sync to sync a Windows Mobile phone be aware that it will not sync to Entourage 2008. There may be a work around at some point but nothing yet. If you are in an academic setting, Endnote and Refwork Write-n-Cite also do not work with the new versions of Office.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Meh, never used iWork. I just know that I have not had a single problem with any of the [missing] features in the new Office.
And certainly that means that no one else could possibly go missing any features since you don't?

I agree with Mac57. Give NeoOffice a shot, it's completely free and worst case scenario, is that you don't like it and uninstall it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Which version of Word do I prefer?

QuarkXPress
QUOTE Thanks
Dylan1984

Dylan1984 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard

I use Ofiice 2004 and I'm very happy with it it suits my needs just fine. I have tried NeoOffice which is good but I prefer to have the proper Microsoft products to be honest...

AC/DC BON SCOTT ERA RULES!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« American Flag | Safari Bookmarks »