New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

So i've had my Mac for a month now and just have 1 problem.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zak.Blair

Zak.Blair is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook - 2.2Ghz / 1gb / 120gb / Leopard

Hey guys,

Had my Macbook for about a month now and i love it to bits. I think i've really got to grips with OS X now too.

I've just got one question, but not to sure where to place it.

Basically i've noticed my internet slowing down significantly in the last couple of days and i've got no idea why?
I also noticed my AirPort wireless switched itself off at one point, there was no reason for it to have done that as it's signal has been excellent and the same since i first connected it about a month ago.

I have Little Snitch installed and none of my apps are talking to the net, i have nothing downloading and only my browser open and still the net is super slow.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks.

Macbook
8gb iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

Is your wireless network protected in any way?

When i first moved in to my flat i forgot to secure the router and some chancer up stairs was stealing my wireless and downloading tonnes of stuff on it, as soon as i locked it up for just my use it was super fast again!

Also if its peak times in the evening it could be the ISP throttling your speed due to many many users all connected at once.
QUOTE Thanks
Knale

Knale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic

Many things could affect internet speed. SlickShoes brings up good points, check your security on the router. I notice a difference in speed between the morning and the evening hours.

Could be a modem or router problem. Check with your ISP for any issues on their end. The ISP can run tests from their end and have you ping gateways and servers for latency and timeouts. Since I am new to Mac, I do not know the commands. I am assuming pinging would be done in Terminal. Anyway, check with your ISP, they should be able to help you narrow your problem down.
QUOTE Thanks
Zak.Blair

Zak.Blair is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook - 2.2Ghz / 1gb / 120gb / Leopard

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.

I have a password on my wireless network so i don't think that can be the problem. It may be at the ISP's end, so i shall give them a phone call.

Thanks again.

Macbook
8gb iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Plug the computer directly into the network, bypassing the wireless. If it speeds up, it's your wireless setup. If not, it's probably your ISP.

QUOTE Thanks
Chrisblaze

Chrisblaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt

well you can always test your speed at www.speedtest.net that will give you a general idea.
QUOTE Thanks
hardtoremember

hardtoremember is on a distinguished road

I just got a mac too and I had the same problem with it. I undid and the redid my wifi set up to no avail. Then I downloaded Firefox. Problem solved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro vs Non MacBook | Automator Pages workflow »