New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do u check hard drive size

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thitch

thitch is on a distinguished road

Just bought a mac book. How do you check the hard drive size on the computer? Why I am asking is because when I look in the finder at the bottom it says it only has 60 gb free. I cant believe that I use up 100 gb already. When buying the macbook I was suppose to have a 160gb hard drive in it.

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Control + Click (aka - right click) on the Hard Drive icon on the desktop and select "Get Info". That will tell you what you want to know.

QUOTE Thanks
thitch

OK When I do it the capacity read 105.88. Does that mean the hard drive isn't 160 gb drive?????
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

No drive will show it's full rated capacity but 105.88 seems low for a 160GB drive. Do you by any chance have Bootcamp and Windows installed?
QUOTE Thanks
thitch

just boot camp
QUOTE Thanks
thitch

Have you guy ever heard off apple not putting in the right hard drive sizes in a macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Click on the Apple and then on About This Mac then on More Info. Then click on SATA (Serial ATA). It will tell you all about the drive and give you the brand and model number. report back.
QUOTE Thanks
thitch

The model # is Hitachi HTS542512K9SA00
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Sounds like you have a 120GB hard drive not a 160GB hard drive. Google your model number and it should tell you more about it. A 160GB hardrive should have a lot more than 105GB available to the OS.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145221

Agreed with Babarnette.

Are you sure your Macbook is supposed to have larger than a 120GB? That is what you have.

What is the CPU speed on that Macbook? Is it White?
QUOTE Thanks
thitch

I am sooooo sorry, I did get the 120gb hard drive but is that right that i only have a capacity of 105.88gb?
What are some thing that I could do to free up some space? I know delete some junk but what junk does apple put on there new computers?
I just cant believe that i used up 43.1gb and only have 62.8 free.
Is there away to show where hard is being used?

Thank you very much for all your help!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thitch View Post
I am sooooo sorry, I did get the 120gb hard drive but is that right that i only have a capacity of 105.88gb?
What are some thing that I could do to free up some space? I know delete some junk but what junk does apple put on there new computers?
I just cant believe that i used up 43.1gb and only have 62.8 free.
Is there away to show where hard is being used?

Thank you very much for all your help!!!!!
Due to the way that HDD manufacturers quote disk size vs the way an operating system calculates disk space you'll only really have approx 112gb to start with. Then there's the OS X build, iLife apps and any Virtual memory being used by running apps.

You could try one of these:
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,10000...188705s,00.htm
http://www.derlien.com/

They both offer ways of display what's using your space.

HTH
mrplow
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I really like Disk Inventory that mrlplow talked about in his 2nd URL. Great little app for seeing what is using your space.

http://www.derlien.com/

If there is an iWork Trial or Office trial you can delete them, but give iWork a try before you do to see if you like it.

To clear up more space you can get rid of all the language files that you do not need. That gives you sometimes 2GB or more. Here are 2 little Apps to do that for you.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

http://www.bombich.com/software/local.html

Also if you never intend to use Garageband to make music you can clear up a bit of room deleting that and it's music files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinkpad X300 vs MBA | shut down problem!?! »