Specs:
    iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
    Thumbs down How to backup Mail and Contacts?
    Hi

I want to do a regular backup of my Mail which will include all my mail folders and any emails in those folders. How can this be done?

I also want to backup my Address Book contacts, how is this done?

Please give me step-by-step guide as I'm still learning where everything is on my iMac.

thanks

Specs:
    iMac, 20-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Leopard, 20" Dell Widescreen.
    The only way that I've found is to use time machine with my external hard drive.

Mail - all you should have to do is copy the ~/Library/Mail folder (the ~ is your home directory). You will also have to save the ~/Library/Preferences com.apple.mail.plist file. When you go to restore, just copy the Mail folder back to the ~/Library directory and place the plist file in ~/Library/Preferences.

For Address book - From the Address Book app, select File, then Export, then Address Book Archive. When prompted, tell it the name and path to save the file.

For more info - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239 tells you how to back-up all your important "stuff"

Specs:
    iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
    Thank you, that's great info

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Mail - all you should have to do is copy the ~/Library/Mail folder (the ~ is your home directory). You will also have to save the ~/Library/Preferences com.apple.mail.plist file. When you go to restore, just copy the Mail folder back to the ~/Library directory and place the plist file in ~/Library/Preferences.

For Address book - From the Address Book app, select File, then Export, then Address Book Archive. When prompted, tell it the name and path to save the file.

For more info - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239 tells you how to back-up all your important "stuff"

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
    If you're using IMAP mail accounts the mail is kept on the mail server so you should not have to back it up at all.

You an also use a product called Mozy. It will back up Address Book and more onto their encrypted servers. They give you 2GB of space for free. Here's a little guide to get you started with Mozy: http://applemachq.com/2008/02/14/mak...asy-with-mozy/
    Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More

Thread Information