New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Running Front Row On Duel Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lukenn77

lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

Hi guys,

I've got a macbook at the moment and was wondering, if i were to hook it up to another screen and run it duel screen is it possible to use front row in the second screen as appose to just the main laptop screen? And then also use the remote and everything to control front row, but at the same time be using my macbook normally for other tasks? Thanks in advance,

Luke
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

I sometimes hook my MBP up to my TV with a composite/svideo adapter. I don't think there's a way to display Front Row on one screen while having the desktop open on another. Front Row wants to dominate the entire interface when it's open, so even using two monitors won't work. One of the monitors will simply fade to black when Front Row is invoked.

Perhaps someone knows a workaround for this? I don't think there is one though.
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

I'd love to find a workaround for this, that would be sweet.

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

yeah. do you think its worth sending an e-mail to some mac genius'?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I know it is not FrontRow... but why not just use VLC in fullscreen on one display and work on the other display?
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

yeah thats a good idea, cheers....but can i control it with the remote? and i kinda like the idea of having it all there in front of me, movies, pictures, music etc.....and you gotta admitt, nothing looks as good as front row :p

i dont have much experience with VLC, i've got it, but never really used it....can i put all my music, and all my videos into it and navigate around them easily enough? or is it just a playlist you create?
QUOTE Thanks
mpoma

mpoma is on a distinguished road

I only use my 'second' display (aka my LCD TV) to watch stuff from Front Row. What I have done is set my preferences so that my second display mirrors my primary display. So what happens is that both screens show the same thing no matter what it be including Front Row. Its not the best solution but it works.
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

ahhh yeah, i was thinking that. but then thats your computer used up. i.e, at a party, if i were to do that, i cant have people choosing music etc from the second screen and have the mac being used for something else. im too fussy :p lol
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoma View Post
I only use my 'second' display (aka my LCD TV) to watch stuff from Front Row. What I have done is set my preferences so that my second display mirrors my primary display. So what happens is that both screens show the same thing no matter what it be including Front Row. Its not the best solution but it works.
So you have TWO "Front Rows" going at once??... do you dim the second screen???
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

i've done it occassionaly before too, just dim the laptop screen or turn it round or whatever, looks pretty cool having front row on a big screen :-p
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenn77 View Post
i've done it occassionaly before too, just dim the laptop screen or turn it round or whatever, looks pretty cool having front row on a big screen :-p
That's the LONG (odd IMO) way of doing it though...

Here is what I do: When you have an external Monitor hooked up... Go into System Preferences >>> Displays>>> Arrangement Tab... then drag the menubar to the external display...

Now front row will Auto-Dim on the Mac display and play full screen on the external.
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

yeah i just found that out, was playing around with that just now hoping to find a way of getting it to do what i want. so do you reckon there's a way of over-riding that command to dim the screen?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenn77 View Post
yeah i just found that out, was playing around with that just now hoping to find a way of getting it to do what i want. so do you reckon there's a way of over-riding that command to dim the screen?
I do not believe so... You can use the apple remote in VLC though... and it plays practically anything you through at it.
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

ohh ok cool. thanks for all the useful replies tho guys! im gradually starting to build up my knowledge of apple and all things mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Tri_X_Troll

Tri_X_Troll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 20-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, Leopard, 20" Dell Widescreen.

I've a similar question......I'm running a 20" Imac with a 20" Dell LCD as my secondary monitor.....I like to watch a movie or TV on the secondary display while I'm working on things that I've brought home from work.

What I would like to know is how to keep my fullscreen move in fullscreen mode. It seems that as soon as I click on Excel (on the primary display) that the application tends to minimize on the secondary display. This doesn't seemto matter if I'm using ITunes to watch something or quicktime.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac software | Rotten Apple »