New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

still thinking about switching

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

As of the moment right now I'm still a student at high school senior year can't wait to graduate, but will be going to a trade school to study guitar lutherie (building guitars professional) and I will need a computer that can use cad software for wood projects and a electrical cad is a huge plus to, a big screen is a plus but don't need a huge screen either would be used as a desktop computer.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Sounds like a 20" iMac would be perfect for you. Have you considered it?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

If you want a powerful desktop try going for a Mac Pro, not sure what specs you are looking for but my cousin just bought a couple supped up version of it for his computer programming company and it is amazing! You can add any size screen you want to it to. But You can just as well buy a MBP 17" and use it as a desktop too, thats what I'm mainly doing with my MBP 15", and when you need to move you can. I don't have any experience with the iMac except when i play around with them in the stores, so I can't really help you out there.

What's your price range? Cause that could be a big factor.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

Ah I'd say to keep it under 1500 since it will be a graduation gift from my parents, and for specs long as it can run the cad software photoshop, and illustrator with not much if any lag I don't have to worry about music recording since I already know macs can do that perfectly
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Yup, sounds like a 20" iMac would be perfect.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Agreed, and if you ever need to run any windows software you can just use boot camp (this allows you to install windows on a section of you HDD, and you can chose each time you boot whether to boot to Mac OS X or... WINDOZE!).
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

Thanks guys any an ideas of good woodworking cad software ( for guitar building) and a electrical cad software ??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OpenOffice??? | The Apple Store... »