New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

a little confused

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vondie

vondie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33MHZ

Just got my new (used) ibook G4. I really like it so far, however something confuses me. I downloaded mozilla...and it put the dmg file on my computer...what is this file, i thought it was just the download, and once i ran it, the program was installed et. all. however when i put it in the trash, the browser was gone. what's the deal here? what do i need to know?

I saw my mom set up our first PC when I was 10...recieved my first dell when I was 18, built 3-4 PC's after that...bought a used Ibook when I was 25...WHAT THE H E LL TOOK ME SO LONG?!
QUOTE Thanks
vondie

vondie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 1.33MHZ

also, the max res on this guy is 1024X768.....can I get that higher?

I saw my mom set up our first PC when I was 10...recieved my first dell when I was 18, built 3-4 PC's after that...bought a used Ibook when I was 25...WHAT THE H E LL TOOK ME SO LONG?!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In OS X, many apps do not need to be installed in order to run, which you have now found out.

You could think of the .dmg file sort of like a zip file in Windows.

When you open the .dmg it shows you what's inside.

Unlike windows, many apps can be opened and run right from there without an installation routine.

In order to install the app, open a new Finder window, and drag the app's icon and drop it in the Applications folder.

You can then close all the windows and eject (or drag to the trash) the opened dmg file.

You will now open the app from the Applications folder.
If you want to keep that app on the dock all the time - while you have it open, you can right click and select Keep in Dock.

To remove an app, just drag it from the Applications folder to the trash.

And you might want to read through eric's Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information located right at the top of the Switchers forum for this and other mighty fine pointers on using your new OS.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
straycat

straycat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.

And as for screen res - sorry, 1024 X 768 is your limit.

Semper Fi
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondie View Post
Just got my new (used) ibook G4. I really like it so far, however something confuses me. I downloaded mozilla...and it put the dmg file on my computer...what is this file, i thought it was just the download, and once i ran it, the program was installed et. all. however when i put it in the trash, the browser was gone. what's the deal here? what do i need to know?
This is one of those huge differences between OSX and Windows. When you open the .dmg file it is literally a virtual disc image. To install the program you can drag it off of the .dmg disc and put it anywhere on your computer (the Applications folder is recommended but not required). Now you have the Application program on your computer ready to run. What you don't see is that inside that .App file are all of the pieces that make up the program and allow it to run. These are all of those various things that Windows scatters hither and yon in the system for a program to work. On OSX, they are in one nice neat package.

The App will create a prefs file in the prefs folder and maybe some read me files, but that is about it for most Apps. Some OSX Apps DO come with an installer and some do come with an uninstaller. If you want to delete an App simply drag it to the trash and empty it, that's it, no uninstaller required unless one is included.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software | The dark mysterious world of Leopard »